2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Durango 2004 overheating!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
elacesar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango 2004 overheating!

Hello can someone help me out because i just noticed that my Durango temperature needle is getting kind of close to boiling `H` point.. I know that the weather is in the nineties but i have never the needle go any higher than the midpoint.. I just had my cooling system recharged and its working fine but i am not using it because I think it will bring the temperature higher much faster.. Please any help will be appreciated.. Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
donnyrob

Originally Posted by elacesar
Hello can someone help me out because i just noticed that my Durango temperature needle is getting kind of close to boiling `H` point.. I know that the weather is in the nineties but i have never the needle go any higher than the midpoint.. I just had my cooling system recharged and its working fine but i am not using it because I think it will bring the temperature higher much faster.. Please any help will be appreciated.. Thanks
I've got the same problem with my 04 Durango. It don't do it every day though and sometimes the conditions are different. It got hot the other day during city driving and cooled down once I got on the highway, which made me think my clutch fan or e-fan wasn't working right. I've checked both fans and they appear to be working. I let it sit and idle with the ac on for 30 minutes when I got home and it didn't get above normal. The next day I pulled a very small trailer with it and it was getting hot on the highway even with the ac off but cooled down when I got off the highway. The radiator is clean, so my next step will be to replace the thermastat. I have 100,000 on mine so I'm also considering that the exhaust may be getting restricted and needs replaced. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:44 PM
elacesar
Default Dodge Durango 2004 heating up!

Thanks for replying and mine has 105000 miles on it.. I checked the fans and they are working well. I noticed that it happens when i am in a traffic jam and once i am am on the highway it drops down to normal but i just dont remember the temp going so high..

Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait tell it's cool and make sur the antifreeze is full on the radiator and not just the recovory tank. Open the radiator cap to do this.

If everything is ok, I'd say T-stat.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 PM
elacesar
Default Dodge Durango 2004 heating up!

Thanks Hydra i did check that and it is full to the top.. Would anyone know how to check if the water pump is working correctly?? Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet you $100 you have a 4.7l right? And you said you just had the coolant replaced, right? (whatever "cooling system recharged" means)

Classic signs of a 4.7l that needs 'burped' after adding coolant. You have air in there both causing the overheating and taking up space that should have fluid in there. Burp the system and you should be fine pending no mechanical problems undefined in your post.

Who ever did your coolant swap didn't finish the job. BTW, simply taking off the cap doesn't burp the 4.7s. Only works like that on 5.x's.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
bob2258

So how do you burp the system?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 AM
mrjohnrobertmiller
Rookie

I have same problem with the v6.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM
anthony.morales2

burping the coolant system is actually very simple. be sure that your coolant level is full. Start and run the car until It reaches normal operating temperature. Now the bleed valve is easy to find. looking into you engine compartment find the upper radiator hose(should be to the right of radiator) follow that hose toward the engine. in the vicinity of the end of that hose you will see a small metal block with an allen wrench type screw. you back that off slowly until you coolant coming out. You may even hear the air come out if you have a lot of air in it. once you see the fluid coming out tighten it back up. done!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's alive! I hope he fixed the problem after 4-1/2 years.
FF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango 2004 overheating!