2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

30K "routine" maint so the dealer says

Old 08-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30K "routine" maint so the dealer says

Took my 05 Hemi D in for an oil change, got soaked for $45, other Dodge dealer did it in 30

min or less for $30 but they're gone now and only 2 Dodge dealers left in Vegas, but that's

another can of worms to rant about later.

Dealer wants to rape me for $500 next time to change the plugs, service the rear end and

trans. Really ? Come on plugs every 30K is so so, but rear end @ 30K?

Trans I really don't want to do because when I did the service on my 5.9L 01 D I ended up

having to re-build it 10 days later. So is this dealer bs or a real factory pm?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems a bit too high. Why are you taken it to the dealer to do scheduled maintenance anywhy? I would stay away from the dealer unless it is something that is covered under your warranty (2005 probaly expired). I am going to change all my fluids and perform a tune-up before winter which will put me at about 30,000 miles,
FF

Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well plugs are not a must but its a good ideal, use champion OEM plugs. You can do this yourself and not get rapped.

Transmission? well yes it is time for it to be serviced. Dunno what happened last time you changed the fliud and lost the tranny 10 day later, but its simply removing the trans pan, change the filter, replace pan with new gasket and torque to 12-15lbs, refill with ATF+4 mopar transmission fluid (usually around 5 quarts, you DO NOT want to over fill).

Rear end? well usually things like this (and items like spark plugs) have not just a mileage limit but a time limit far as "scheduled" maintenance goes. for example: my D says differential lube change (every 60,000 miles or 48 month) What I do is change it every other tranny fluid change, this i do every 20,000 to 25,000..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna put Champion iridiums in it and shop around for the other services.

The vehicle must roll 7 days a week and I don't have a lift, all day to work on it, or time

to let it cool down. I have the factory service manual on cdrom and the factory

wiring schematic book. As for dealership oil changes $29.95 was a good deal for 7 qts

and a filter Mopar brand all factory spec 5W20 and not having to worry about the

oil filter being over-tightened by some kid at a fly by night lube joint, leaving me with

a leak.

10 day trans death, 1st gen D's are notorious for trans failure ask Mean Green or Kensai,

I hope the 2nd gen has this already resolved, one of the three reasons I traded up my

01 D for the 05. More room for the kids, hopefully a better trans, and most imortantly

I finally got a HEMI!

Thanks for all the good advise it makes it a pleasure to be a part of this forum.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend plugs at 30k miles.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Red Mopar
I'm gonna put Champion iridiums in it and shop around for the other services.

The vehicle must roll 7 days a week and I don't have a lift, all day to work on it, or time

to let it cool down. I have the factory service manual on cdrom and the factory

wiring schematic book. As for dealership oil changes $29.95 was a good deal for 7 qts

and a filter Mopar brand all factory spec 5W20 and not having to worry about the

oil filter being over-tightened by some kid at a fly by night lube joint, leaving me with

a leak.

10 day trans death, 1st gen D's are notorious for trans failure ask Mean Green or Kensai,

I hope the 2nd gen has this already resolved, one of the three reasons I traded up my

01 D for the 05. More room for the kids, hopefully a better trans, and most imortantly

I finally got a HEMI!

Thanks for all the good advise it makes it a pleasure to be a part of this forum.

Okay, I suggest never to take it to a fast oil change place to anyone. if you do not change the oil yourself when picking the vehicle up always check the fluid and see if they actually put a new filter on "before" driving it off the lot.

Champion iridiums, I have them and they are not cheap, like almost $9 a plug and if you have a hemi you have 16 of them.. be ready to spend $$ on them. I honestly did not notice any difference from the truck plugs to the iridiums, perhaps they will just last longer but not really any "performance" gain that i noticed.

1st gen and tranny,
Well no this is not 100% accurate.. The 42/44/46RE are the old design transmission and you will find those paired up with the 3.9/5.2/5.9 engines. The 4.7L/5.7L has the 45RFE/45rRE dodge/jeep transmissions. This is the newest transmission having from chrysler for these engines.. These have less issues then the previous ones and also are on the 1st gen

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have alot of engine modifications on your truck you should not use the iridiums. They are too hot and could ruin your coil packs,
FF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 30K "routine" maint so the dealer says