2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Clunking noise?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Blaze23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise?

I have a 2006 Durango SLT Small V8. It has 64,000 miles aprox.
For the past few months I have had a cluncking noise coming from the front end that can be felt through the steering wheel at lower speeds. It has been to various mechanics and they can't find the source of the problem. Any Ideas?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Needs new shocks?
FF

Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Ric@rdo

I also have a clunking noise coming from the front/right side of my D.
The strange is that the noise only started after taking the car to the dealer for the 20k kms service...

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
jpernat

Hi I had the same kind of noise coming from the front end of my 2004 and my friend on his 2005 and I ended up changing the sway bar bushings and it took care of the noise, his has only 46000 mi on it and mine has 76000 on it. It should only take bout an hour to do Hope this helps

Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
bwhirzel
Default Front end clunk

For those of you experiencing a dull clunk coming front the front end, I had the same problem. I heard a dull clunk coming from the front end and initially though it was a CV joint problem or some other suspension / axle problem. I took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong. I found the fix and it was very simple. It seems the problem was the front sway bar bushings. Just spray on a little lubricant (I used motorcycle “Chain Wax”, which retains a film covering). The problem was immediately gone and has not come back. Any quality lubricant will do and it took me about 1 minute. It also helps the bushings from dry rotting. No need to change the bushings if they are not rotted, just lube them every now and then.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
jackbatty2
Default front end clunk & more

I too have this front end clunk on my '04 Durango 108k miles. I have also had it checked out only to be told that they cannot find any problems. Of course it never does this clunk for any mechanic. What makes me more nervous is that along with the clunk the steering feels loose (don't know any other way to describe it) and now just recently I am getting a virbration in the front end felt much worse when applying the brakes. Before anyone tells me that the front vibration is my rotors, I just replaced front brakes & rotors 3 months ago so unless I got a really bad set I am not thinking this is my issue. I am wondering if this is a ball joint issue. Any Durango experts out there have any ideas for me better yet if your in the Spfd, MO area can you help me out? Thanks, Amanda

Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 PM
cenastyle

Wow! This must be a huge problem! I've had the same thing (clicking/clunking/popping...whatever it is) going on for a few months now. You can feel it in the steering wheel, fell it in the floorboard when it happens. It usually doesn't happen to me until I get up over 40 MPH and then slow down (like, driving on the highway and getting off on an exit). I just had the front left CV joint replaced as that's what they told me the problem was. $300+ later and the problem is still there. Of course, the 5 times I've taken it back; they can never duplicate it! So, the consensus that I'm getting from this thread is that it's the front sway bar bushing? Why have they not found that in the 6 times (including when they fixed the CV joint) I've taken it in? Why will it do it to me the entire way to the shop only to have it stop when they get in and drive it around? This has been extremely frustratiing!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
allmopar2003r/t

could be bad ball joints there was a recall on them,or worn out shocks,but does it happen when you step on the brakes because you may not have front wheel abs only rear abs when the front pads heet up they could be slipping on the rotors my durango has that problem. fight the bull grab the horns [**]

Last edited by allmopar2003r/t; 07-26-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM
08 Rango

I had the same problem the other day and found out the person who owned my car before me used cheap brakes and the clips were bad .. Huge noise for a lil piece .. I troubleshooted mine by going over bumps with my brake pedal pressed a little and no noise but hit the same bumps without the brake on and it sounded like my front end was going to fall apart. Hope this helps someone find there noise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking noise?