2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 5.7 won't run under 1800 RPMs,stalls..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Hell_on_Heels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 5.7 won't run under 1800 RPMs,stalls..

Hi all!!!Have a 2004 Dodge Durango limited w/a 5.7 Hemi in which I am the second owner.It has barely broke the 80,000 mile mark and all routine maintenance has been completed at recommended intervals.I took her in for the routine oil changing, filter changing, fluid testing, etc. exam on Friday evening & all checked out good.Sat morning drove about 300 miles (ran great) and when I started back home she died at a redlight.Like to have never got her to start.Had to lay on the gas to keep running(would not idle).Got the check engine light and the lightening bolt lit up. Damn rough ride to Auto Zone (now have whiplash) to get a P0306 code.Now I have it home & am the owner of new plugs/wires w/no help.Garage checked and the code was gone and showed 20% compression on #6 but all other tests was fine.Garage wants to pull the engine and tear it down. Anyone else have this problem resolved w/out going to those measures???Possible broken valve spring?????Bad injector???any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Vjklander

If you have the MDS, you probably have a totally screwed up engine. Could be due to using the wrong oil. If someone put anything other than 5-20 in or additives ... sayonara. Or... if the oil passages are restricted from junk in an older engine ... or ... or ... or ... you have to replace the heads or the engine. If you want to have the shop tear it down, get a contract in writing that you don't pay anything if it isn't fixed properly ... Especially if you go to the dealer. I'd go straight to new heads ...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM
red hemi durango
Amateur

04 did not come with mds

Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 PM
red hemi durango
Amateur

Originally Posted by Hell_on_Heels
Hi all!!!Have a 2004 Dodge Durango limited w/a 5.7 Hemi in which I am the second owner.It has barely broke the 80,000 mile mark and all routine maintenance has been completed at recommended intervals.I took her in for the routine oil changing, filter changing, fluid testing, etc. exam on Friday evening & all checked out good.Sat morning drove about 300 miles (ran great) and when I started back home she died at a redlight.Like to have never got her to start.Had to lay on the gas to keep running(would not idle).Got the check engine light and the lightening bolt lit up. Damn rough ride to Auto Zone (now have whiplash) to get a P0306 code.Now I have it home & am the owner of new plugs/wires w/no help.Garage checked and the code was gone and showed 20% compression on #6 but all other tests was fine.Garage wants to pull the engine and tear it down. Anyone else have this problem resolved w/out going to those measures???Possible broken valve spring?????Bad injector???any info would be greatly appreciated.

was it raining when it died

Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The 5.7 does have a problem with valve springs breaking and valve seats dropping. remove the valve cover on the even firing side and inspect the valve springs. If you do have a broken valve spring, the spring can be replaced without removing the cylinder head.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOH:

+2 on getting to the bottom of this sooner than later. A number of the 04 Durango Hemi's had valve spring as well as some crank clearance issues both of which can render the engine a pile of scrap in a heart beat.

What is the build date on your door label?

Hopefully, you only have a valve spring in its way out. If so, you will want to replace them all!

The build date on mine was Jan of 04 and the engine was replaced at 39K due a collapsed valve spring on cyl #3.

Keep us posted on what you find out, and don't drive or run it until you check the springs.

Don

Quick Reply: 2004 5.7 won't run under 1800 RPMs,stalls..