2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Heater Core??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
ME5150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core??

Hi Guys! Just a quick question. I just purchased a 05 Durango 5.7, and in the bitter cold yesterday, my defrost fogged up my window when I started driving, and I got the slight anitfreeze smell..

I did purchase the extended warranty with it, Powertrain Plus, but I'm waiting for a call from the dealer to see it it's covered.

Funny thing is, how come I cannot find ANYTHING about 2nd gen Durango heater cores, or a heater core itself? I have searched high and low for a heater core, or anything on the heater core, no luck.

Do you have to remove the whole dash?

Thanks guys!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link, but not sure if this is for the first, second or possible both generations:

1. Remove the instrument panel using the following steps
  2. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  3. Remove the trim from the sills of both doors.
  4. Remove the trim from the cowl side inner panels on both sides.
  5. Remove the steering column opening cover.
  6. Remove the inside hood release latch.
  7. Disconnect the overdrive lockout switch, if fitted.
  8. Remove the steering column. Do NOT remove the air bag, steering wheel or switches. Be sure the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent loss of clockspring centering.
  9. Detach the parking brake cable and switch.
  10. Disconnect all accessible wiring harness connectors, ground wires, headlight wiring, sound system, etc., from the instrument panel.
  11. Disconnect the vacuum harness connector on the left side of the heater-A/C housing.
  12. Remove the center support bracket from the instrument panel.
  13. Remove the ACM ground line. Disconnect the ACM harness.
  14. Remove the glove box.
  15. Disconnect the radio antenna.
  16. Disconnect the blower motor wiring harness.
  17. Disconnect the speakers.
  18. Disconnect the radio ground wire.
  19. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screw about a quarter of an inch.
  20. Remove the screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  21. Pull the lower instrument panel rearward until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets.
  22. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole. Support the panel.
  23. Disconnect the remaining wiring.
  24. Disconnect remaining hoses.
  25. Remove the panel.
  26. If the vehicle is equipped with A/C, recover the refrigerant. See "Note" above.
  27. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube.
  28. Disconnect the accumulator inlet tube.
  29. Drain the cooling system.
  30. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  31. Remove the nuts from the heater-A/C mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  32. Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dashboard.
  33. Pull the housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
  34. Remove the housing from the vehicle.
  35. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_cha...#ixzz1EzO6Foqh

Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ME:

There is not much history of heater core failure on the Gen 2 D's. The Gen 1 98-00 D's is another story.

The entire dash indeed does need to come out. It is an labor intensive repair. While some folks have tackled it themselves, the majority have ponied up somewhere between $900 and $1200 for the repair.

While they are in there, it makes sense to replace the AC evap as well as the labor is the same.

Hopefully this is not your issue as most power train warranties don't go beyond engine, trans, and drive shaft/axle problems.

BTW, how many miles on the rig? You also can hopefully get the selling party to go 50/50 on the fix if not more as a goodwill measure.

Let us know what happens. Don

Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM
ME5150

Thanks Don! Ya, it is going to be warrantied, I should have mentioned I purchased the Powertrain Puls. It isn't even active yet, warranty says anything before 3 months, and 1000 miles, is considered pre existing. But the dealer ordered the part, and it goes on tomorrow, they are going to make it work, even if he has to hold the paper work another 2 months.

So that's good news, he said about 12 hrs labor.

Don, it has 100k on it. Just got Toyo M/T, CAI, exhaust, and grille. Getting horrible gas milage now, about 11.5. What's everyone else getting? I'm thinking the 0* weather has alot to do with it.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I average about 13,
FF

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
PokerMunkee
Professional

I get 13-14 with stop and go. My wife can get 15 since she drives it like a grandma. I can can get 17 when cruising at ~70. At 80 on the highway, it goes down to 15-16.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
ME5150

Guess that sounds about right. I think it's just been so lower lately due to sub zero temps.

Quick Reply: Heater Core??