2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Dodge Durango front end creaking and popping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Edd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Durango front end creaking and popping noise?

My 07' Durango's front end keeps making a creaking noise when I make sharp turns, both left and right and rarely when I accelerate hard, it sounds and feels between the driver's and passenger side floor, depending on which way I turn, it used to be not too loud but it's now getting worse and annoying. Another thing, is that when I go through a speed bump it makes a loud popping sound only on the left, I don't know if that is related to the creaking sound, but all these sounds are driving me nuts! What should I do? Anyone had any similar experiences? My truck is 4x2 by the way. Last year I replaced the 2 front sway bar bushings because they were squeaking and now it has these annoying noises I don't know why, my truck is in great condition with only 45,000 miles.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd
My 07' Durango's front end keeps making a creaking noise when I make sharp turns, both left and right and rarely when I accelerate hard, it sounds and feels between the driver's and passenger side floor, depending on which way I turn, it used to be not too loud but it's now getting worse and annoying. Another thing, is that when I go through a speed bump it makes a loud popping sound only on the left, I don't know if that is related to the creaking sound, but all these sounds are driving me nuts! What should I do? Anyone had any similar experiences? My truck is 4x2 by the way. Last year I replaced the 2 front sway bar bushings because they were squeaking and now it has these annoying noises I don't know why, my truck is in great condition with only 45,000 miles.

There was a recall on the steering knuckle on some of these vehicles. I do not know if that could be related to your problem but if you PM me your VIN I will check for any recalls or TSB's on this issue.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Edd
Amateur

Yeah, I knew about that recall, in fact, that does not apply to my truck because it was built on March of 07' and this recall was issued on October 13, 2006 to vehicles built on late 06'. I bought my durango on july 07. I've taken my truck to dealer many times for service. If it would applied to my truck, they would of already taken care of that problem. Anyway I just don't have a clue where those noises come from I've checked everything and it seems ok. What should I check?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have the control arms looked at along with the rest of the suspension. My Demon does the same thing and the control arms loosen and a 'bang' can be felt and heard when the brakes are applied heavily. Unfortunately, it is a temporary fix in my situation,
FF

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Edd
Amateur

I'll take a look on those, I checked the bushings earlier and they seem to look good however I haven't check those bolts, I'll try to tighten all bolts. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Last edited by Edd; 09-09-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be a u-joint or ball joint. I know my truck is a little older and a little different (4x4), but I had a popping noise over bumps and squeak in turns when my u-joint went. Turns out my ball joints were bad as well. Upper and lower plus u-joints... was a nice bill indeed.

If that is the case, use Moog parts whenever possible. Most of their stuff has a lifetime warranty, and is usually beefier than stock.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 AM
glc1620@

THIS GUYS PROBLEM IS THE SAME IM HAVING BUT MINE ONLY STARTED AFTER I CHANGED WATER PUMP IS IT POSSIBLE I WHEN CONNECTING TRANS COOLER LINES DID NOT ALLOW ENOUGH SLACK so I am starting to get a "popping noise in the front end. It seems to be comeing from the control arms but I have checked and all bolts are tight. It happens when I am in 4x4 or any time the traction direction is reversed.
I'll give you an example............. I can get in the truck, but it in reverse and roll a few feet then hit the brakes.....it goes "pop" . then I put it back in drive, roll forward a few feet, hit the brakes and "pop" .
Now if I let of the brakes and roll forward again and hit the brakes, it doesn't do it. It seems like it is taking the slack out of something and will only do it when the direction of the pull on the axle is changed and it takes the slack out.

it pops only when i change from reverse to forward or forward to reverse never after bumps or turning ? its my girlfriends trk and she told me after asking if noise had started after pump install

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 04-16-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Durango front end creaking and popping noise?