2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

How fast does the heater core go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM
jgregory01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast does the heater core go bad?

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7L 4x4 with 77k miles. I just returned from SC to Florida but noticed a boiling sound from the passenger side dash area. This sound was noticed for the first time when leaving SC and the engine was off. That is when I noticed it. I drove to Florida 6 1/2 hours with no problems. There was no leaking and the engine ran cool and fine.

My friend thinks that perhaps it is not a core issue but some air may be getting in from a hose or the cap. If I hear this noise how long would I have before the core actually started to leak? If it was the core going bad should one expect it to leak after driving almost 7 hours straight?

Also it was throwing a P0240 code for the catalytic. Anyone know if this is covered by the 8yr/80k mile warranty if I am not the original owner? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
jgregory01
Default i forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that I only heard the noise the one time. This was only after 15 minutes of driving. After driving the 7 hours home I did not hear it again or in between. There is no real altitude difference, but there was a temperature difference. I dont know if that matters.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
jgregory01
Default bump...anyone??? Bueller?? Help?

Any ideas people?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JG:

The gurgling noise could be air in the cooling system, but unless you are noticing a leak or overheating, I would not be too worried.

Recall though that the OEM coolant is only good for 5 years, so if yours is OEM you are overdue for a flush and refill.

As for the cat issue, your PCM and Cats are covered against defect for 8yrs or 80K.

While you are at it, if not already done you might consider fluid replacement in both axles, the trans, transfer case, and also a set of spark plugs.

I assume you want to keep your D in good shape. This will go along way towards that goal.

Don

Last edited by n8ech; 01-28-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
jgregory01

Thanks for the input. There is no overheating at all so I guess I should not be worried. I just had the coolant flushed and filled over the weekend. The plugs were done a year ago. I know I need the other stuff done and will get it done in piece mail. I was quoted 210 to do both diff's and the transfer.

Check this out though. I pulled the neg cable to clear the code for the catalytic (at least I think that is what the code indicates). I went from 16mpg to 19.5 on the same tank of gas. wierd.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
tinmanwpk
Rookie

When you pulled the battery cable your trip computer reset itself. That is why your mileage changed.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JG:

Sounds like a good plan. I would continue with the maintenance as you can, and just monitor things.

If you have the patience, a place to work and the tools, you can do the fluid changes and save yourself a bunch of bucks.

This way, you can also make sure good synthetic fluids go in without paying through the nose.

Don

Quick Reply: How fast does the heater core go bad?