2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2006 Durango Interior lights trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM
jackgtrs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Durango Interior lights trouble

All of a sudden the over head lights will not turn off. I have checked everywhere, including contacting my local dealer who wants $800 just to diagnose the problem-- NOT fix it just diagnose.

I have narrowed it down to the CTM Central timer module. My question is where is it located and what does it look like? If I can pull it out and reseat it; that appears to be a valid fix according to some google searches

Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a recall on the instrument panel for the 2006. Call your dealer to see if yours is recalled:

Make: DODGE Model: DURANGO
Model Year: 2006
Manufacturer: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Mfr's Report Date: MAR 06, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V092000 NHTSA Action Number: EA06015
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL

FF

Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
jackgtrs

I did attempt this route, however my dealer, Was strongly opposed to this. I even printed out the Recall and offered to fax it to him. I also asked him why he would not honor it and he claimed that the recall was already performed on my vehicle so it could not happen again.
I know this is Bull because electronics can fail at anytime as I perform electric repairs to guitar amplifiers and guitars on a daily basis.
He told me that outside the recall it would be $800 to diagnose the problem, that is when I turned to this forum for some help.
Look if the system has failed I will pay but I feel like the dealer has no intention of trying to help but just wants my $800 to get started

Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jackgtrs
I did attempt this route, however my dealer, Was strongly opposed to this. I even printed out the Recall and offered to fax it to him. I also asked him why he would not honor it and he claimed that the recall was already performed on my vehicle so it could not happen again.
I know this is Bull because electronics can fail at anytime as I perform electric repairs to guitar amplifiers and guitars on a daily basis.
He told me that outside the recall it would be $800 to diagnose the problem, that is when I turned to this forum for some help.
Look if the system has failed I will pay but I feel like the dealer has no intention of trying to help but just wants my $800 to get started

Jack,

$800 to diagnose the problem? I would find another dealer. While electrical problems may sometimes be tricky to locate, requesting $800 up front for diagnosis is something I have never heard of before.

It's not like your vehicle is that old. If a recalled part that was replaced goes bad in this short of time it should still be covered if indeed it is the problem. If you want to PM me your VIN I can tell you if there was a recall on your vehicle and if the recall was ever done and when.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack:

The interior lights were controlled by the CTM on the Gen 1 Durangos. I believe the Gen 2 uses either a Body Control Module or the Forward Control Module to run the lights in the Gen 2.

In the Gen 1 BTW, the CTM is behind the kick panel to the left of the drivers feet.
Its a dealer item since the remote key fobs are also controlled through it and must be reprogrammed.

At last report, it was a $525 out the door installed deal.

The gauge cluster in the Gen 2 also controls a lot, and could be the source of your issue.

Don

Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Paisanyc

This happened to my 05 durango. Luckily the gas tank valve was recalled. Long story short, dealer swapped out the gas tank for a new one... and found the instrument cluster was also recalled. Fixed that too, for free.

Quick Reply: 2006 Durango Interior lights trouble