2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

No start condition...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 PM
pershingd
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy No start condition...

Hello everyone - its been a while since I've checked in but here I am.

Tuesday evening, My '04 Durango (5.7L AWD, 140K miles, Sentry Key equipped) stopped cold on me in the driveway after a partial run down the driveway. It appears that the fuel pump has been shut down by something. I initially thought the pump had failed since there was zero pressure in the fuel rails. I replaced the pump today and it still appears that the pump is actually shut off. I'm not too upset about changing a pump that probably didn't need it - one less thing to go wrong later.

Where should I look next? The computer is not storing any DTCs that I can pull. Everything looks perfectly normal as far as I can tell. I've been reading that a faulty crankshaft or camshaft position sensor can cause the PCM to shut off the pump, but I'm pretty sure that it would kick off a DTC.

I am concerned about the possibility that the chip in the key may have died and now my Durango thinks its been stolen. I've left the battery cables off until morning hoping that a reset will set things right, but I'm losing hope.

No, I haven't tried the other key because the dealership I bought it from managed to lose it.

I'm open for suggestions...

Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 PM
smize01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same issue

i have the same exact issue. i replaced the fuel pump relay and the pump itself. i do not hear it engaging when the key is turned to on. any luck on your end?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
pershingd
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apologies for not replying sooner...

I finally gave up and drug it to the dealership, who also struggled to find the problem. They did find it however. Apparently I had a poor connection between the wiring harness and the Integrated Power Module (fuse box unit under the hood). They unplugged it to trace the wiring and cleaned the connector before reinstalling it and it fired right up.

I suggest you remove the module (easier to unplug it that way), clean the connection (they didn't say with what), and reinstall it. That's what worked on mine.

Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
mikehenya
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip, trying it on mine....

Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM
mikehenya
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't work for me....

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Dramer77
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the battery lost connection in my wifes key and wouldnt work.. somehow the bracket that hold it down came loose..

Quick Reply: No start condition...