2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Won't Start. Loud Clicking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM
tattoohead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't Start. Loud Clicking.

Went out to my '06 Durango to get breakfast this morning and she wouldn't start. All I hear is a loud & very fast 'click, click, click, click' like the starter isn't catching or something. The motor doesn't turn over either.

Checked the battery and the battery is fully charged, other electronics work also so I don't think it's the battery.

Hopefully nothing too major. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suspect the battery as this happens with my Super Bee. Since you said the battery is fully charged, I would look into the connections to the battery. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful on your situation.
FF

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Seanjon

I know you think it's not your battery because your other electronics work, but the amount if amperage that it takes to power those versus what it takes to start your vehicle are grossly different. That 'clicking' you are hearing is the starter relay or solinoid. The battery has enough juice to energize that, but then it is done; there just isn't enough to crank the starter, which takes a lot of amperage (electrical power). I suggest getting a jump. If that works, you will know it is the battery. Good luck and let us know.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Chikn Hawk

Exactly its the battery. Charge it or have someone jump it for you just to catch enough juice to get it started. I had the same issue. SEANJON is correct.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tattoohead
Went out to my '06 Durango to get breakfast this morning and she wouldn't start. All I hear is a loud & very fast 'click, click, click, click' like the starter isn't catching or something. The motor doesn't turn over either.

Checked the battery and the battery is fully charged, other electronics work also so I don't think it's the battery.

Hopefully nothing too major. Thanks for any input.

Tattoo,

Battery would be my first guess as well.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
tattoohead
Professional

It was the battery! I got a jump from my brother this morning and bought it back to the dealer since I just got it a week and a half ago and they put in a brand new battery for zilch.

Thanks everybody for the posts...

Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Chikn Hawk

Glad you found your answer & a replacement. Good luck to all!!

Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Jvillenative
Default 1995 Dodge Dakota starter clicks but wont start.

After reading everything from starter to battery issues, I found the problem to be a bad positive battery terminal.
its my understanding that if the starter is clicking then the solenoid is working. Starter requires the full 12v to turn motor over and I wasn't getting that. Replaced the terminal and I'm golden, fires right up every time.
​​​​​​
So, try the simple things first. If the starter is clicking, make sure all battery connections are tight, then make sure your battery is good if connections are solid.
hope this helps someone.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Freestyle121
Default 06 Durango won't start in the mornings. Click sound only

I need help if you can. My Durango 4.7 for some reason doesn't start in the morning depending on temperature is my association but learned hot or cold doesn't matter. I turn the key to on the dash lights come on but no crank just a clicking sound. After numerous turns of the key and 2-3 hours later it starts right up with no issues. No CE light sometimes gas cap code comes on and off. Replaced Starter, same issue, replaced ignition switch same issue and took it to the dealer for a diagnostic with no help at all but stating Intemittent operational switch. Recommended changing the lock cylinder. We changed the lock cylinder but kept the same keys and still same issues. The dealer found voltage on wires normal with no shorts. But codes of B212D -stored ignition run only input circuit open. Also code B2101- stored ignition run/start circuit low. Ignition switch and cylinder Plus starter and new battery. But still having this painful issue occasionally at startup after the car sits overnight. Please help.

Quick Reply: Won't Start. Loud Clicking.