2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

My Experience with 2004 Durango Wiper Cowl Leakage

Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM
underwoodjoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there a window seal u can buy I saw on YouTube to replace the old one.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Limedust
Professional

I did the cowl replacement, and I also used RTV to re-seal the "funnel" underneath the cowl (on the passenger side) that directs the water to the side of the engine compartment. The 3M tape on the funnel had degraded over the last 10 years.

100% improvement.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 PM
wsmith5

bought the new cowl but cant get the wiper arms off! ( 2005 Durango 5.7 )I removed the 3 nuts no problem but the arms wont come off.pulling up raises the mechanism underneath the cowl and the arms together like its all one piece . no wiggle on the bolt. tapped lightly on both sides of the bolt with a hammer no movement.any ideas ?

ok I rented a puller kit from advanced auto and one of the small pullers worked. others have used a battery terminal remover but nobody around had one.couple of notes on my repair the rubber strip that goes against the window was slightly longer on one side but I couldn't adjust it because i didn't notice till I was done, so you want to adjust the strip before you put it on.the metal (5) clips are impossible to see when you put it on so I just hope I got them all in .the Dorman 799-135 plastic push in panel fasteners were pretty beat up so I 'll replace those at autozone $5.XX for 15 pcs (should have bought those before) advanced auto was $3.70 for just 3 pcs what a rip.

Last edited by wsmith5; 06-17-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added data
Old 06-23-2015, 11:21 PM
notsofast
Rookie

I just did that cowl replacement on our 2006 Hemi Durango. I put a rubber grommet around the wiper arm shafts too to keep water out. Also used black RTV sealer under the heads of the push pins.

All was lost anyways as I think our engine took a dump today anyways in dry weather. The engine didn't get wet though.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 AM
birdie_76

do you have the part number for the updated cowl and the push pins you used?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:04 PM
KimBorges5.7Hemi!
Exclamation

Hello I'm new to this Dodge site. My 04 Durango with 144,000 miles has fallen victim to this incident and is now in my driveway waiting to be rebuilt. It made my stomach hurt to hear the sound of my motor trying to limp home but we made it and I hope everything goes well after this I plan on fixing everything the proper way and I feel Dodge Should be held responsible for this issue. Thank you all and I will let you know how it turns out. Kim Borges from Northern California.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 AM
lmoffat
Exclamation Engine Hydrolocked!

My 2004 Dodge Durango Hydorlocked this weekend. Had it towed to Dodge. $9,000 for new engine & repair.

I have taken very good car of this vehicle. Bought it wit 14,000 miles on it, and now has $140,000. We have replaced the cowl screen, had it caulked/sealed, and other parts replaced. (never helped the issue)

Has anyone else thought that this is a MAJOR safety issue and Dodge should do a safety recall?? Class action law suit??

It's NOT OK that you can't drive a car in the rain without it shuttering and stalling, or dying!! Isn't that a MAJOR safety issue?

Anyone have any luck with Chysler?? (I haven't as of yet). Has anyone contacted a lawyer? Are there any class action law suits out there pending for this issue?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:02 PM
dodgy1

I replaced mine in January 2017 soon after I bought my used Durango (now with a new engine). I believe it was like $150+ at the dealer which I feel they should have included as part of a recall. My mechanic installed it but I don't think he caulked anything since it wasn't indicated.

What I found interesting is that Dodge dealer said that one I got was the latest hood cowl and its 7th iteration of it. 7th! I'm like huh...wow is there going to be an 8th and will I be informed and will they pay for it? Probably not.

Still I don't get the hydrolocking issue. My mechanic said at worst, water would drip on 1 particular coil pack...and not inside the actual coil pack, since that is covered/protected. And even if somehow it got in there it shouldn't lock it up since it's not getting IN the cylinder. Anyway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Experience with 2004 Durango Wiper Cowl Leakage