2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Engine swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Durango8766
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap Question

So my head gasket finally blew last night, I went to add my 1 qt of oil that I add every week due to its oil consumption and I took the oil fill cap off and it looked like someone added milk instead of oil into the engine. So with 116k on the pos 4.7 I have decided to get a engine out of a wreck for around 1500 and install it myself instead of paying the engine shop 2000 to do the head gaskets. My question is... the engine im looking at is out a 2005 dakota it has the 8th vin digit N and my 2005 durango has the 8th vin digit N so will this engine work in my durango without replacing computer or anything? 2nd question... Is there any way to tell if I have the 16 or 32 tooth tone rings? Any help is appreciated as usuall! Thanks! This is pretty pathetic in my opinion the oil in this engine was changed every 3000 miles, my family has owned it since it had under 30k on it. An engine should be able to go further than that with regular maintenance, Im 16 so its my car now, Im just frustrated with it, I knew there was a problem with head gasket since july when I changed the plugs and did a compression test, I was just hoping to get through the winter with it, and then either do the head gasket myself which i hear is very difficult on these engines or just put a salvage engine in it, I guess ill be doing it in the cold now! haha Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine swap Question