2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2005 Durango TPS Keeps Going Bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 AM
bigiron44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Durango TPS Keeps Going Bad

The TPS in my 2005 Dodge Durango keeps failing. I have replaced it 5 times in the last 6 weeks. Eact time it runs great and then out of the blue the check engine light comes on and the code is for the TPS. I did notice what looks like a ground strap is hanging down on the passenger side and am wondering if this could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Make sure all your ground strap are fasten, also are you using Mopar sensors? Because we have had a rash of bad aftermarket sensors.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 AM
bigiron44

I see what looks like a ground strap hanging down, it was attached to the exhaust. I will fix that and replace the TPS and see. I really appreciate your advice.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Is your code "TPS/Map Correlation?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
bigiron44

Yes, replaced the MAP sensor once. I put a new TPS in yesterday after reconnecting the strap. Now only time will tell but so far, so good. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bigiron44
Yes, replaced the MAP sensor once. I put a new TPS in yesterday after reconnecting the strap. Now only time will tell but so far, so good. Thanks for your help.
You may have a vacuum leak at those rubber plenum seals or even the t-body seal. We run into this quite frequently. Also, if you have an EGR valve, check for deteriorated gaskets or seals on the tube. That DTC is one of the more aggravating...kind of like a "fuel system lean/rich" because they are ususally intermittent. Freeze Frame data for the code is very useful.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
kkpjm

Could the plenum seals or T-body seal be the fault of my continuing driveabilty problems? Seems like a bad MAP sensor or TPS but both have been replaced with MOPAR units. Tranny seems to upshift way too early and won't downshift when I need it to. I've been thinking it's a vacuum leak but can't verify it. No codes being shown. Dealer won't do anything more since there aren't any codes and they don't think it drives bad.

Sometimes I have to floor the pedal before any downshifting happens on uphill climbs...it's like the TCM or PCM doesn't sense the load on the engine. TCC engages early and when it does, on level ground at 35 mph or so, the engine gets noticeably louder...like I said, i think it's a vac leak but can't find anything yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Oh, yeah...06 Durango, 4.7, tow package.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Jasev Garcia
Default Hey

Did you figure out what was the problem with yours. I have taken mine to shop several occasions and technicians can't find anything. Map sensor code was given , replaced it 6 times within the last 8 months and still same issue. It's really frustrating. Can you please share what you did to fix in order for me to try it out and see if it works as well. Your symptoms are so similar to mine. I would really appreciate your feedback.

Quick Reply: 2005 Durango TPS Keeps Going Bad