2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Open diff?? Limited slip?? Torsen???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 AM
LONEWOLF2007
Amateur
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Open diff?? Limited slip?? Torsen???

HI guys, i'm planning to do some off road near home on my Durango. I have a 2006 limited HEMI 4x4 with the NV244 transfer case, and feels pretty strong.

I did some research online but i haven't found an answer, i'd like to know if my D has open, limited slip or even a torsen differential in rear to be aware about what it can or can't do, like mudding. As i understand there are 4 types of diffs

-Open: The power gets to the wheel with less resistance, so if one wheel is on the air and has no traction, that wheel gets all the power and i'll get stuck. best for street and Highway.

-Limited Slip (LSD): Has a clutch sistem inside that send some power from the wheel with no traction to the other, making both wheels move but allos to move different speed too.

-Lock or Locked: Has a mechanical system that locks both wheels making them spinn like a single piece. Best for off road, Used in aftermarket Jeeps.

-Torsen: Basically an open diff with an electronic system that sense when a wheel is spinning, and appllies the brake to this one to simulate some traction and send power to the other one. Used in Hummers and Land Rovers.

After that, i'm not sure wich one is standar in my Durango 4x4 (no locked, i know this) as she has sensor in every wheel, and the permanent AWD. Any ideas will be apreciated, i wanna have some fun but don´t wanna spend the night stucked Thanks.

Oh, and please correct me if i understand wrong.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The NV244 is an AWD limited slip differential:

The NV244 GENII is an electronically controlled
full and part-time transfer case with no two wheel
drive operation.
A differential in the transfer case is used to control
torque transfer to the front and rear axles. A low
range gear reduction system provides increased low
speed torque capability for off road operation. The
low range provides a 2.72:1 reduction ratio.
The geartrain is mounted in two aluminum case
halves attached with bolts. The mainshaft front and
rear bearings are mounted in aluminum retainer
housings bolted to the case halves.
OPERATING RANGES
NV244 GENII operating ranges are:
² AWD(All-Wheel Drive)
² 4HI (Part-time)
² 4LO
² NEUTRAL
The AWD mode can be used at any time and on
any road surface.
The 4HI (Part-time) and 4LO ranges are for off
road use only. The only time these ranges can be
used is when the road surface is covered with snow,
ice, or other loose slippery material.
SHIFT MECHANISM
Operating ranges are selected with a dash
mounted shift selector switch. The shift selector
switch provides a input to the Transfer Case Control
Module (TCCM) to indicate the driver’s desire to
change operating ranges. The TCCM uses this input,
along with the input from the transfer case mounted
mode sensor and information from the vehicle’s bus,
to determine if a shift is permitted. If the TCCM
decides the shift is permitted, the TCCM controls the
shift motor, mounted to the exterior of the transfer
case, to perform the shift.
21 - 512 TRANSFER CASE - NV244 GENII DR

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LONEWOLF2007
HI guys, i'm planning to do some off road near home on my Durango. I have a 2006 limited HEMI 4x4 with the NV244 transfer case, and feels pretty strong.

I did some research online but i haven't found an answer, i'd like to know if my D has open, limited slip or even a torsen differential in rear to be aware about what it can or can't do, like mudding. As i understand there are 4 types of diffs

-Open: The power gets to the wheel with less resistance, so if one wheel is on the air and has no traction, that wheel gets all the power and i'll get stuck. best for street and Highway.

-Limited Slip (LSD): Has a clutch sistem inside that send some power from the wheel with no traction to the other, making both wheels move but allos to move different speed too.

-Lock or Locked: Has a mechanical system that locks both wheels making them spinn like a single piece. Best for off road, Used in aftermarket Jeeps.

-Torsen: Basically an open diff with an electronic system that sense when a wheel is spinning, and appllies the brake to this one to simulate some traction and send power to the other one. Used in Hummers and Land Rovers.

After that, i'm not sure wich one is standar in my Durango 4x4 (no locked, i know this) as she has sensor in every wheel, and the permanent AWD. Any ideas will be apreciated, i wanna have some fun but don´t wanna spend the night stucked Thanks.

Oh, and please correct me if i understand wrong.
Lonewolf,

If you want to PM me your Vin I will send you a build sheet on your vehicle so you know exactly what setup you have.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 AM
LONEWOLF2007
Amateur
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, great info. But i still have my doubt , now i know the Transfer case NV244 has a LSD diferential to do the AWD/4WD job (wich seems to be a great system) but i understand the front and rear axle might have open or LSD diffs, cause the transfer send power front and rear, but wich wheel recieve it, is another story.

I already tried lift the rear of the truck and spinn one wheel to see what does the other one do, and spinns opposite way. I guess that means it's an open diff. Also, read the build sheet (thanks @DodgeCares) and has no Limited Slip code for my D. I think the code is DSA, at least for Dodge Ram.

I'll try go to a little little mudding to find out and be sure, i'll let you know what happens.

Thanks a lot for the info and advice, i'm not a pro but love trucks, especially V8 4x4

Quick Reply: Open diff?? Limited slip?? Torsen???