2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

07' Durango Hemi "gascap" light issue?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Edd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' Durango Hemi "gascap" light issue?

Ok, I need a little advice here, I know I'm not the only one with this problem but a few weeks ago I got the "gascap" light on my odometer then after a few days I also got the check engine light, so I researched and ask a few mechanics and all of them told me to replace the gas cap with a factory one so I did, when I went to my local dealer I told the guy who sold me the cap about my issue and again he told me to replace the cap and make sure and reset the truck's computer so that the light will eventually turn off, so I went home, I got to the truck, replaced the cap and I didn't immediately take the truck to reset the computer and it stayed like that for a week or so, then today I went to the Grease Monkey where a friend works to get my oil change and he got to reset the computer, finally the check engine light is off, but the "gascap" warning still shows on the odometer, and he told me that it should shut off after the computer recognizes any changes with the cap. Has this happen to anyone even if the computer was reseted? I also checked under the truck for any visible cracks on the lines or anything and nothing. By the way my truck is an 07 Durango 5.7 with barely 47,000 miles. THANKS

Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for atleast fifteen minutes. Some people claim you should press the brake pedal a few times after to expel any residual power.
FF

Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Edd
Amateur

yes, I forgot to mention, before I had my computer reseted I did disconnect my negative a few times and after a day or so the "gascap" warning would first turn on, then the check engine would come back, right now the check engine is still off and since the "gascap" is still on I'm afraid the check engine would turn back on...

Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM
aga1van

try going a grade higher in fuel. Me and my cousin had the same problem and after a couple tanks her light turned off. I had to reset the battery on mine but my light has stayed off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07' Durango Hemi "gascap" light issue?