2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

passenger tail light won't turn on

Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
DrivingDurangorous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger tail light won't turn on

I changed the bulbs thinking it would fix the problem nope still won't turn on. The reverse, turn signal and the brake lights turn on fine just when I turn the parking lights on nothing I've read that it might be a bad ground but how do you fix a bad ground.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(For future reference, it's better to reply to your previous post, since you're still having the same issue. )

So, for clarification: your passenger rear lights all work via parking switch, but do not respond to brake pedal? What about your driver side rear lights? Do you have a tow package? Do those lights respond to brake pedal input?

I had a bad brake switch on my ram that caused this problem on both sides... Replace the switch, problem solved.

It could be a bad brake pedal switch or a bad connection somewhere (more likely if the drivers side works correctly). A little more info and clarification will be helpful.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 AM
DrivingDurangorous

DRiver side is good on everything TBL is also good passenger side is where the problem is reverse lights, blinkers and brake light works fine it's when I turn on my headlights or parking lights both the front and rear bulbs do not turn on could it be the bulb holder going bad because I know for a fact there is power going back there or else nothing would turn on its just those dam parking lights or running lights however it's called checked the fuses under the hood all still good haven't checked the under the dash fuses no towing package on my D. Planning on taking it to the shop if I can't fix by tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Twmays
Veteran

Yep, sounds like a short, an electrical gremlin somewhere. Time to start chasing wires for a loose connection or short.

Wiring schematics are helpful, to a degree... If you have a Haynes or Chilton manual you can get a start.

I'd try to find this myself, as most shops hate chasing wires and will love to charge several hours of work just to give up on it.

Unless you have a good mechanic you trust somewhere...

Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Twmays
Veteran

Well, dug through the wiring schematics, and it looks like the passenger side lights, both front and back, are controlled via fuse #10 in the power distribution block under the hood. It's possible that the fuse is blown or improperly seated. Try swapping it with fuse 8 (driver side) and see if the problem chases it. If so, you found your issue.

I know you said you checked, but see if swapping it moves it. I've had fuses pass visual inspection that didn't allow current to pass.

Name:  imagejpg1_zpsc8c1f4d6.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  112.8 KB

Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 AM
DrivingDurangorous
Default I got it

Last night I had a hunch so I looked back in the manual and realized that each side has their own fuse and sure enough passenger side parking bulb fuse was out so replaced it boom parking lights l. Pheew saved me money from going to a shop but thanks for the help it is very much appreciated.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Handiman219

Had the same problem and found out that it was the tail light board.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: passenger tail light won't turn on