2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

need help crazy durango

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Durango marty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help crazy durango

Ok so i have a 2004 durango 4.7 2wd with 187000 upon my first long trip (under100 miles) it started to rain well it killed my TPS so i waited the TPS dried out and ran fine got home went to autozone bought a new one with life time warranty replaced it. not a month later it went into limp mode so i pulled the code it was the tps. now this is where it gets strange after that truck ran good for a while the out of no where it popped a tranny code PO760 but had no problem shifting so i reset the computer and bam no code and ran fine. so now i have got the code at least once a month and i just reset the computer and good to go. so now when it hits this code it will go into limp mode (2nd) until i reset it. I need to know if this is infact a soleniod pack or if it could be a sensor > also the other day after i had to reset it i got in it and started it up and all the dash light stayed on the PRND were highlighted and it would not shift into any gear and no throttle responce at all but when i got out and reset the computer it all worked fine i am at a loss??? ( reset computer i took neg of battery for fivee minutes

Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing I would do is stop the water flowing onto your engine from the wiper cowl. They leak like crazy. Open your hood. Run a hose down the windshield and see where it's going. If I remember correct, there is a harness connector on the back side of the intake that may be getting full of water and corrosion.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Durango marty
Amateur

i will check that the last time i looked it was pouring directly on my TPS but when i seen that i went a bought some strip caulk (automotive) and sealed my cowl and made towers around the wiper arm opening but do you think is sounds normal to be able to just reset the computer and be able to go into OD no problem then pop the code and no reset computer and OD again? I wonder why dodge didnt just put the cowl under recall that has to be the dumbest design i have seen from dodge and i am a mopar fan but make asian cars look better with every problem i run into with dodge

Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep that cowl is some silliness. FYI, aftermarket sensors are bad news many times. If the TPS shorts or goes open and causes limp-in in the Trans, cycling the key will clear the condition until it happens again.

If the limp-in is caused by a dead spot in the TPS (for example), even IF the TCM sees the TPS return to normal operation, it will not exit limp-in until the key is cycled.

It's funny this thread came up as I've done 3 TPS sensors in Durangos this week already...it's REALLY rainy here BTW

Last edited by TNtech; 10-15-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Durango marty
Amateur

ok but i have this code pop sometimes when no rain cold start before the truck has hit normal operating temp? also aftermarket do you mean non oem or nom dealership part. so do you think all the problems with tranny could be due to faulty tps because i have a tranny guy saying "oh man its your soleniod pack 500 to replace" also i know the IAC is right below the tps but i dont now how much that would affect it if it went bad because i only replaced tps

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Moved to the proper section.

Quick Reply: need help crazy durango