2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Help plz with possible truck purchase

Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 PM
notsofast
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help plz with possible truck purchase

2005 SLT, Hemi with 62,000 miles.I asked the Dodge dealer salesman where this vehicle is at about the fuel filler recall and he said it doesn't apply to this truck. After I test drove it and was headed back to dealer lot with it I told the salesman I wanted to top it off to see if the fuel spilled out. He said he'd never seen it before.
The pump shut off and a second later about 1/2 gallon came flying out of the filler tube under pressure. The salesman says, "Whoaaaaaa!". Then he says, "What did you find out was the problem?". I said some need new tanks and some got a new valve of some type. I head home after telling them to fix it and they call me. They said that some vent valve has a lifetime warranty and they'll replace it. How do I know it won't start acting up again? The truck only has 62,000 miles.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2007 Hemi Durango tank and inlet were replaced and I had no problems with it for the last year or two that I owned it. I traded it in last year and I would assume it is still working as intended and no purging fuel.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by notsofast
2005 SLT, Hemi with 62,000 miles.I asked the Dodge dealer salesman where this vehicle is at about the fuel filler recall and he said it doesn't apply to this truck. After I test drove it and was headed back to dealer lot with it I told the salesman I wanted to top it off to see if the fuel spilled out. He said he'd never seen it before.
The pump shut off and a second later about 1/2 gallon came flying out of the filler tube under pressure. The salesman says, "Whoaaaaaa!". Then he says, "What did you find out was the problem?". I said some need new tanks and some got a new valve of some type. I head home after telling them to fix it and they call me. They said that some vent valve has a lifetime warranty and they'll replace it. How do I know it won't start acting up again? The truck only has 62,000 miles.
Thats the million dollar question when you replace a failed factory part with another factory part. No one knows. Maybe they made some modifications to the valve so it won't fail anymore.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM
notsofast
Rookie

They were going to fix the fuel issue for me but said it wasn't covered under the recall due to it being manufactured later than the recall listed. I asked if they would fix it again free of charge if it acted up again. I asked them to please let me start it cold to see if she smoked upon startup. Both times over the ph they said sure but when I got there each time, it had been started. I asked what if it smokes the day after I buy it and it sits overnight. He said "It won't". I asked him to put that in writing in the purchase agreement and he refused. I asked if it was safe to drive right away from the lot 300 miles to see the family and he said he would drive it to FL. Well that's when I find the fuel issue and one tire leaking. The diffs hadn't had the fill plugs touched, yet they told me they had been checked. They initially told me over the ph they had done all service there and had the records but when asked for them they said they don't keep those records.

I guess I was too big of a pain for them and they actually e-mailed me while I was waiting for them to repair the fuel issue knowing I was going to buy it...(Had check in hand on my second trip) and said the truck wasn't right for me. We had already agreed on a price and that I would buy it. They were going to get $500 over NADA with TT&L on top of that. I can only assume she either smoked on startup or they knew something else about the truck and knew I was observant and not a pushover. Or....I was just a pain for them.

Thanks all. On to the next one.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Flue
Veteran

Sounds like they 'saved' you a bit of money by deciding they didn't want to be on the hook for the problems they know/knew existed and hadn't done jack shyte as far as maintenance. Prob 'looked it over' and topped off the oil...just in case someone looked. I'd stay very very far away from this dealer.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You did yourself a favor. Kudos to you for being diligent on the purchase and the thorough inspection of the vehicle you did. I wish more people were like you.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM
notsofast
Rookie

I read many posts here and clicked many links in these threads and you guys helped me to know what to watch for.

The salesman that rode with me and was there when I filled it with gas had been with his family's dealership fro 30 yrs and was the GM of that dealership when Chrysler closed them down during reorganization. He's now the salesman at this dealership. He said he had never seen or heard of the fuel spilling problem. We then pull up to the pump and start pumping. When you could hear the fuel reaching full he took 3 steps back. I immediately knew that he already expected it to spill. It did, like gangbusters. He then asks, "Now what do we do?"

Old 05-09-2015, 06:40 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Bought my '06 a couple years ago. Heard of the fuel spitting problem, so never filled it.

Happened to be on a trip and decided I'm going to find out right now if it does or not. I had called Dodge and they said no open recalls already, so no worries, right. Filled the tank and it spit!

Got the fuel filler neck replaced and asked the guys at the Dodge dealership how do I know if this will be fixed or not? You should fill the tank up and see if it spits!

They all laughed and expected me to laugh too, but I didn't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help plz with possible truck purchase