2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Coolant temp sensor connector

Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Ken62465
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel

I'm getting a CEL and the red lightning bolt and have been getting nowhere with a search for what I need to fix it. First the scan reports an engine coolant temp sensor so after tearing a ton apart we replaced it to no cure. There's some intermittent voltage signal from the sensor that seems to be caused from the connector itself, buddy ran that test and he's sure it's the connector. Terminals look ok but something is wrong with it. I found a pig tail connector on partsgeek.com and it arrived today, after 8 days waiting for it, to discover it doesn't fit. Anyone got any ideas what I can do here to fix this? Getting in touch with partsgeek is useless and I wait longer. I could go to a junkyard but they're not about to let me cut one connector and ruin a whole engine harness they're asking 150-200 for and I really want that to be a last resort for a $5 connector.

I have a thought on this issue. Partsgeek listing is a little odd and after another review I wonder since some of there coolant temp sensors themselves are listed for 3.7 and 4.7 then a different one for the 5.7Hemi that I have. The pigtail doesn't list this just says fits all Dodge Durango -2 thru 07. I'm thinking if the sensor has a different part maybe the connector is also different and partsgeek messed up the listing of this part. So what's the harm in using a coolant temp sensor that fits this pigtail? Why one engine be a different sesnor than the other? I thought they just read resistance per temp measured and would think it would be universal...just guessing but asking first.

Here's what I think happened. If you look on this page
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?ssq=dur...ango&year=2005

There's 2 different sensors for the 3 motors available yet there's only 1 pigtail harness. I found the same harness here.
http://www.theautopartsshop.com/engi...r/stds820.html

If you scroll down in the list you will see for the 05 Durango they claim fits all engines and I think it's wrong. I suspect this harness fits the plug on the 3.7/4.7 coolant sensor. I'm wondering could I buy that coolant temp sensor and if it does fit this pigtail use it? Is the only difference in the end connector on the sensor? I think they both yield the same transfer function for temp/resistance so it should be ok to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anyone?

Well today I did a series of tests that's puzzling the heck out of me. Since I have a pig tail harness, and NAPA said they can get the actual one for the 05 5.7l if I need it, I decided to snip the wires to the coolant temp sensor and run some tests. I get 5v feed to these lines. If I then tap the sensor in and measure again voltage dropped to 3.5v, as I'd expect it to since a change in resistance should lower the voltage. I then heated up the tip of the temp prob and watched as the voltage lowered. All seems normal at the engine block so wtf would through an engine coolant temp sensor code then? Twice I did get an erratic voltage reading and the engine went to a very rough idle but I can not duplicate this and over the course of 4hrs testing it only happened twice. My hunch is if I keep the temp sensor disconnected to long the pcm is seeing the full 5v un altered and eventual freaks out...just a guess but tried that test on purpose and couldn't duplicate it. I have a bad feeling this is an indication my pcm/ecu is going bad. Anything else I can test to pinpoint the problem.

nobody has any idea?

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 05-26-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant temp sensor connector