2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Upgrades and Modifications - Overhead Console

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Larry Stevens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades and Modifications - Overhead Console

Not sure I posted here but I picked up an '07 Durango back in December to eventually replace my '01 Durango (Can't bring myself to sell the '01 yet).

One of the biggest features I miss from my '01 is the Overhead Console so, after tons of reading, I decided to dig into it.

I found an '07 Durango w/ the Overhead Console at a local junkyard and pulled the console and the entire wiring harness. I'm actually going back to get the headliner w/ the lighted Sun Visors as well.

So, the harness plugged in perfect on the A-Pillar but it only gives me compass/temp and nothing else.

I started researching more and discovered the '07 had two models, but they were differentiated by the manufacturer date. Mine was 08/06 which was borderline so I went and got an older one (04) from another junkyard. This one sort of worked, but failed it's internal self test. I then went and got one out of a RAM with even less features, but it appears to work.

Now, of course I want the right one for the vehicle. I proceeded to do more research and this is where I am at now.

I've tested the one from the '07 and it works perfectly in a Friends Aspen. I am 100% sure they are controlled by the BCM since when plugged into my Durango it pops up and says Dodge, but in the Aspen it pops up with the Chrysler logo.

I verified with the Dealer that my Durango was manufactured 8/16/06 which means this is the right one for my Durango.

After speaking with the dealer I've come to the conclusion that my BCM just does not currently support it.

My options now are:

1.) Pickup the BCM from the other '07 which also came with a factory alarm. If I have understood what I have read I will have to swap the factory alarm as well and have the BCM/Security system reprogrammed (it wouldn't bother me at all to add the factory alarm, except I'm not sure what all I need to swap).

2.) Install the EVIC Overhead Console and run it down to the dealer and have them attempt to add this feature to my BCM, but I'm not sure which BCM's support the overhead console. This means I could be wasting $100 on a reprogram if my BCM does not support the Overhead Console.

Any advice/input?

Quick Reply: Upgrades and Modifications - Overhead Console