2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

ESP activates when it shouldn't P0340 present

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 PM
polarbear92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP activates when it shouldn't P0340 present

I bought my Durango in January. I had an issue with the ESP (electronic stability program) light flashing in the dash and the ESP activating when it shouldn't have been. Called the dealership that I got it from, and they said that it's normal because of ice on the roads, I probably wasn't noticing the wheel slip. I didn't agree with them, but I let it go for the time being. Continued to drive truck and continued to have issues. Also had the driver's seat change position on me while shut off, and lost the radio presets (radio presets happened twice, seat moving five or six times now). When it got hot out for a couple of days I tried the A/C and found that it wasn't working in the front, dealership fixed it after two attempts.

Got the truck back, A/C working. Still having ESP issue. CEL wasn't on but I went ahead and had the codes scanned, found P0344 and P0340 stored. Found TSB relating to an issue with the ESP activating and one or both of those codes. The fix according to the TSB was to reprogram the PCM. I was able to get the dealership to cover it and had it done at the local Chrysler dealership.

Seemed fine at first, but then noticed the ESP was activating again. Kept driving it. After two days, was driving the truck and all of a sudden the ETC light (red lightning bolt) started flashing, ESP light came on, CEL started flashing, and the engine felt like it was stuttering. I pulled over, looked under the hood and under the truck and didn't see anything. Shut the truck off and started it again, everything ran fine but the CEL stayed on. Had the codes scanned and P0344 and P0340 were both present again. Replaced the camshaft position sensor.

The next day it seemed to be fine going to work in the morning and going home in the afternoon. Drove the truck longer that evening, and the flashing lights and stuttering came back. This happened 6 times during the trip there and back. Scanned codes again, P0340 is present again, but P0344 is gone.

So, if you are still reading after all of that, what should my next steps be? I inspected the wiring to the camshaft position sensor as best I could and found no issues. Should I look at the crankshaft sensor? Should I have the battery fully tested? Or does this sound more like it's a module issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: ESP activates when it shouldn't P0340 present