2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Replacing condenser and receiver/dryer question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 AM
trembuzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing condenser and receiver/dryer question

2006 Limited 5.7 liter
I found out that my condenser is leaking while recharging the system. I've opted for a diy parts replacement as the shop costs were way over my budget. ($680 just for condenser and recharge!). The plan is to r+r the condenser first then the receiver/dryer. Just wondering if I can add the AC oil right to the receiver/dryer and then drive over to the recharge tech without doing any damage to the system?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this,
trembuzz

Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trembuzz
2006 Limited 5.7 liter
I found out that my condenser is leaking while recharging the system. I've opted for a diy parts replacement as the shop costs were way over my budget. ($680 just for condenser and recharge!). The plan is to r+r the condenser first then the receiver/dryer. Just wondering if I can add the AC oil right to the receiver/dryer and then drive over to the recharge tech without doing any damage to the system?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this,
trembuzz

Let the person charging it inject the oil in while he's doing it. The machines have an option for that.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. A little over fill on the oil won't do any harm, but your tech can do some additional services like leak detection and adding the right oil and the right amount. I'm not a factory trained tech like TNtech, just a shade tree type. So my experience is limited to removing/installing the condenser when I replaced the engine on my 98. I probably wouldn't disturb the receiver/dryer unless something let go internally. Assuming that there isn't a gaping hole in the condenser or a blown compressor. When you take the condenser out, use duct tape to keep dirt out of the disconnected lines.

It gets a bit more complicated if your compressor has blown its seals. Still doable to replace the compressor at home, but you would need a compressed air supply and do a system flush.

Any line you disconnect will need new o-rings and you'll need a little PAG oil to lubricate them.

After you get it back together, you can drive the truck with the system uncharged. There's a low pressure sensor that will keep the compressor clutch from engaging.

Quick Reply: Replacing condenser and receiver/dryer question