2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Looking to buy, would I regret getting a 4.7 over the Hemi?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy, would I regret getting a 4.7 over the Hemi?

My 01 finally had engine issues, it has a valve issue in cyl. 1, and it needs enough other body work and such that I don't see the point in fixing it this time, I do still owe money on it, so I am having to work with a dealer who will pay it off on trade, ai found a place that will, and they have a very nice 2005 Durango Limited, but it has a 4.7 rather than a Hemi. I really have been wanting a Hemi, but considering how nice this truck is, and their willingness to trade mine in makes me strongly want to consider it. My question for everyone out there with a 2dn generation Durango: How much more power do you feel the Semi has over the 4.7, is it a large enough amount that I would feel like I missed out? I really want something that has a good amount of get up and go, passing on the highway with ease sort of thing. I have a 4.7 in my current truck, and I never felt it was lacking in power, and this 05 felt about the same as it. I suppose I should find a good Hemi Durango to test drive tomorrow and compare. I just don't want to miss out on this rather nice 05 just to get something that doesn't seem to move any faster.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM
SteinerSellers
Amateur

Are you still in Denver? I spent nine months in Denver back in 2004 and drove rental cars the whole time. Had both the 4.7L and 5.7L Durango. The altitude takes its toll on everything there but if you can't feel 100 more hp and 70 ft lb more torque than something's wrong. No contest. Going up to the mountains with guys in rental Tahoes or 4.7L Durangos had them calling to say "slow down, I don't have a Hemi". Wound up buying a 2005 Hemi Durango when I got back to Atlanta.

0-60 specs on the two models have them at least a second apart, typically more on similar equipped models. At 60mph, one second is 88 feet or about five Durango's worth of car length. It might be less than that when you're talking acceleration between two vehicles but you get the picture. Not to mention they get near identical fuel mileage.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

I'm still in the Denver area, never lived in the actual Ciry of Denver, but I work here. Lived in Arvada until I was 10, then we moved to Parker.

I was going to test drive a Hemi, but the two they had were very rough, (neither were the Limited that I'm looking for...) but one was blocked in by cars around it having bumpers being painted, and the other wouldn't start even with a jump. Oh well. But I figure there is enough difference that I should easily feel the difference. I think I've decided that I'd love to find an 07-09 Limited with the Hemi, I wan the 07+ because apparently the 04-06 didn't have the dual front climate control at all, my 03 has it, and its saved me hearing a lot of whining by the front passengers about being cold. I would consider another 1st gen, but it'd have to be an 03 SLT+ in my favorite blue, and I'd want the 4 wheel disk brakes.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:21 AM
Anthony1217

He I 5.7 L is the way to go I live in the springs love my limited 08 hemi

Old 10-07-2016, 09:11 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a Hemi

Old 10-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

I've decided that I want an 07-09 Limited, preferably with the 2nd row bucket seats. Biggest issue so far is that compared to how many 04-09 Durangos I see out on the road, there's not much for sale, especially not in the Limited range, which is proving frustrating. Most of the nice Limiteds that I've seen have the 4.7, and I have decided I'm only interested in a Hemi.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Compactc9
I've decided that I want an 07-09 Limited, preferably with the 2nd row bucket seats. Biggest issue so far is that compared to how many 04-09 Durangos I see out on the road, there's not much for sale, especially not in the Limited range, which is proving frustrating. Most of the nice Limiteds that I've seen have the 4.7, and I have decided I'm only interested in a Hemi.

Then look for a Chrysler Aspen. It's the Cadillac of Durangos

My Dodge Aspen looked nothing like it. I find that sort of hilarious.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:16 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

I'd love to get one of those, but a Durango with the same interior would cost a few thousand less, even if I can find one with the quad bucket seats I want. The guy I have searching for me thought that option was only on the Aspen, but it is a Durango thing too, not that common on either it seems... Sadly. But back to the difference, other than the grille and name plates, I only see the center console in the front as different, starting at the top with the clock over the radio, then it has those doors over the cup holders and storage bin area. I don't notice much difference other than that. I see a lot of Aspens with cloth seats too, which I didn't realize was an option honestly.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

This makes me wonder, would it be possible to change out 2nd row bench seat for the heater bucket seats and console if I do get one that doesn't have the quad bucket seats I want?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy, would I regret getting a 4.7 over the Hemi?