2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Are you having weird electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 05:12 AM
polarbear92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you having weird electrical issues?

So, after having some weird electrical issues with my 06 5.7 Limited, I think I have finally figured it out. This may be something that will help you also. And I know I've seen others with the same issues I have been having.

If you take a look under the hood, there will be two fuse blocks on the drivers side. On the front facing side of the front block, the PCM should be mounted there. The harness and connector for the PCM are mounted on a bracket/guard that essentially goes around the PCM. Right next to the harness side wiring for that connector, is a line for the AC. On mine, the sharp edge of the crimp, where it goes from metal to rubber, was rubbing on the wiring. Three wires about two inches down from the connector are worn almost completely through. Probably explains why a couple of my friends that have been Chrysler Techs for years had no idea as to what I needed to check lol.

I am currently in the process of repairing this issue, and I will post an update once I drive for a little bit after I fix it. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Home Meh-Can-Ick

What weird electrical issues were you having? On this '06 5.7 w/hemi we are having all sorts of electrical issues.

-The windows would sporadically stop working, now they don't work at all.
-The wipers would only work on one speed, now even on that one speed they only work sometimes.
-The drivers seat heater just stopped working. The light blinks when the switch is both up and down.

These all sound like various types of shorts to me, and it seems very strange that a vehicle is having this many issues with shorts.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 AM
polarbear92

Home, that sounds more like a TIPM issue. The TIPM in these controls a lot of the different functions. Your first step should be to find out where the TIPM is located for sure and check the wiring to it. And if the doesn't help, or you don't find anything there, replace it. I know it's easier said than done, but I can almost guarantee this is your issue. If I'm not mistaken, the instrument panel cluster acts as the TIPM, I know it did on the Rams from this time period.