2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2005 SLT AWD Hemi Parasitic Draw. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:13 PM
jfries
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 SLT AWD Hemi Parasitic Draw. Help!

I am about to go crazy with this parasitic draw and need some help.

Quick history: Couple weeks ago I thought I had it narrowed to the radio, pulled fuses. But then after a day or so, battery was dead. Took it to my mechanic and they said I would have to take it to a dodge dealer because it's the instrument cluster.
Took it to the dealer, they said all they could find was a bad battery even though the battery was less than 2 weeks old. So I had my mechanic warranty replace the battery and the next day the D was dead.
Took it back to dealer and they said they found the draw and it was the instrument cluster. I got the D back from the dealer 5 hours ago with a new instrument cluster and the car won't start but the cluster flashes every time I turn the ignition. But my meter on the battery, it's about 10.5v. So it wasn't the brand new $800 cluster.
Any thoughts?

Could it be the Integrated Power Module?

Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

From my experiences, the majority of draws on those is caused by the Junction Block under the drivers side dash. Usually corroded inside or on the plugs/terminals, due to water intrusion.

Sounds like a couple shops there need to learn how to do a draw test the right way. The cluster is the command module/hub for a ton of things on the truck and anything it powers can be the source of the draw because it will wake the cluster up or keep it awake, causing a draw. Heated seat switches, door lock switches, all interior lighting, headlamp switch, door ajar switch inputs, etc. The power outlet is also operated by one of the cluster fuses.

BTW, have them check for a G07 cluster recall. See if it's been done. If not, expect to have to go back for a new cluster 2 or 3 more times, because the reman facility is operated by window lickers.