2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Crankshaft sensor wiring issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Droc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft sensor wiring issue?

Hello I bought a 2005 dodge Dakota 4.7 magnum. Salvage yard motor was put in it, and would not run after replacement. Engine is showing crankshaft position sensor code. Put a new one in and the same thing.motor will start on starter fluid but dies after you quite squirting. Checked fuel pressure andthere is 60lbs at the rail. Pulled plugs and they looked pretty, and replaced them Also pulled the valve covers off, and both timing chains are in correct position when the harmonic balancer is on TDC.Also cleared all codes after changing sensor and same code appears. The plug that goes into the ckp has 5v on both sides of the ground.Any ideals?

Old 02-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Droc

And I ment Durango not Dakota

Old 02-06-2017, 03:37 PM
iodj44
Veteran

You say it runs while starter fluid is sprayed and dies when you stop spray, the cylinders are not getting fuel.

Fuel pressure at the rail is great but if the injectors don't open it does not matter, you need to figure out why the injectors are not opening, unfortunately it could be many reasons. One question I have did the motor come out of the exact same year Durango?

Last edited by iodj44; 02-07-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Droc

Not sure on the year of the motor the motor was already put in I put noid lights on the injectors but they act like there out of sync they do not start getting a signal to spray until about 3 sec of cranking and it tries to start but it sounds like 3 cylinders are maybe hitting. I didn't know if the crankshaft sensor would have control of them, and that's why its not fueling correctly but the crankshaft code appears after cranking every time

Old 02-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Droc

[QUOTE=iodj44;3329035]I say it runs while starter fluid is sprayed and dies when you stop spray, the cylinders are not getting fuel.

Fuel pressure at the rail is great but if the injectors don't open it does not matter, you need to figure out why the injectors are not opening, unfortunately it could be many reasons. One question I have did the motor come out of the exact same year Durango?[/.

Not sure on the year of the motor the motor was already put in I put noid lights on the injectors but they act like there out of sync they do not start getting a signal to spray until about 3 sec of cranking and it tries to start but it sounds like 3 cylinders are maybe hitting. I didn't know if the crankshaft sensor would have control of them, and that's why its not fueling correctly but the crankshaft code appears after cranking every time

Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Droc

Update

i guess being a salvage yard motor everything had water in it. I pulled the fuel rail and cranked it, and only had 3 injectors working. Ordered a reman set for 85.00 installed them and it busted right off

Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Well that is great news, best of luck with your truck.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Droc

Thanks for the help

Old 02-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Droc

Ok guys put the injectors in and got the exhaust hooked up it will start and run now. But I only have 3 cylinders running compression is 150psi injectors are working and I have fire on all of the ones that are not working. Also still showing crankshaft position code any ideals?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 AM
iodj44
Veteran

I recommend you get the engine number off the engine block and find out what year it was built. The reason is that Dodge may have made slight updates/changes from year to year like engine sensors or pcm updates/ changes, I mean small changes where parts look the same but have different part numbers. This should be ruled out, in other words be sure your engine is a direct drop in replacement for your truck. Get the engine number and take it with your vin number to a Dodge Dealer and ask if they are compatible. You know a 4.7 could have have come from a first generation Durango/Dakota which I would bet are not direct drop in for your truck.

Last edited by iodj44; 02-15-2017 at 08:36 AM.