2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

This 545RFE Can't take this much fluid can it? (Non Overhaul)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 PM
shelzmike
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This 545RFE Can't take this much fluid can it? (Non Overhaul)

Backstory - had a bad solenoid and decided to save some money and do the swap myself. It wasn't the most fun, but not terrible either. All went well and the new solenoid fixed the limp mode, no kick-down issue.

I didn't measure the amount of fluid that came out but I estimate it to have been maybe 6 or so quarts, which is about what service fill capacity is. Previous to this, the fluid level was fine.

When adding back in, I first put 5 full quarts of Mopar ATF+4 just enough to get it off the ramps. Then I began the process of carefully adding, running through the gears, putting in neutral, checking level, etc. Up to this point, I have added about 8 quarts and am only getting to the top mark of the cold mark on the stick when hot. That being said, it seems I would need about another quart or less but I am a little concerned as this seems a bit more than what the service capacity and what I read others have been saying they use.

I just don't want to over fill of course - could it be I need more since I did a little more than a regular service? Meaning, I had to take the valve body and solenoid out, which of course both have some fluid in them which might not normally escape during a regular drain.

Finally, there is not a leak causing the issue with the fluid not seeming to rise to the appropriate level. It is shifting fine between gears and when driving there is only a little bit of weird shifting which I am attributing to the relearning process.

Is it normal that it is probably going to take about 9 quarts or just under to refill?

Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Trey Richardson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Full 545 RFE

The fluid expands when hot... Fill to safe mark. Get up to operating temperature in Neutral... Dipstick reads full cold (80.F) and hot (180.F)... So at 130 degrees that would be half way between. Get it? Cool...

always check at the hottest trans temp possible. Check idling on level ground in Neutral...

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey Richardson
The fluid expands when hot... Fill to safe mark. Get up to operating temperature in Neutral... Dipstick reads full cold (80.F) and hot (180.F)... So at 130 degrees that would be half way between. Get it? Cool...

always check at the hottest trans temp possible. Check idling on level ground in Neutral...
Year old thread? One would hope he has it figured out by now.