2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
hottyriyady
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed this on my first road trip last week. It was really bad especially at speeds 80 + mph.

I will have the tech check this on my next visit.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM
sbtadt

does any one have a bug guard installed? if so take it off then see if the noise is still there.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sbtadt
does any one have a bug guard installed? if so take it off then see if the noise is still there.
+1. Over in the 2nd Gen Ram section, bug guards sometimes cause turbulence that makes the mirrors vibrate and all sorts of wind noise.

However, I will say that the wife's has the factory bug guard, and we don't get very much wind noise at all.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
jeepinjp

I have the same issue with an 07 lmt. I will have to try the striker adjustment

Old 06-07-2014, 01:48 PM
csfgiantsfan

My truck uses to be quiet, but it howls like a banshee now, if I pull on the door at the top the noise stops. So I know it's the seals at the top of the door. I also noticed that the cabin air door doesn't always open because I can hear it slam open sometimes. I need to get to it because I think it might be clogged with dirt and hard for it to open.
Also there are vents behind the passenger seats for cabin pressure if those are stuck air wont flow and create compression at the weakest point, the door. I had my bed off awhile back but didn't think to check the vents. You might be able to take the rear seats out or even access them when you fold the seats up. So anyway my thought is that if the cabin air is flowing and the rear vents are not it creates compression at the door. I just haven't had time to dive in yet.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM
MotoScuba

Hey Giants fan, yeah these vehicles have an engineering defect. Look at how other manufacturers build door hinge systems. They all have a limit arm that prevents the door from opening too far. All except Dodge and Jeep. When you open the door of your truck the only thing that's stopping the door from swinging open too far is the hinge. So, when you open up the door and the wind hits the door and pushes it beyond its limits, The hinge "Springs"and pulls away from its mount on the body. This creates a new pivot point that is further away from the truck body. So, a gap develops between the door seals and the body. Anybody related to dodge will disavow this to be a problem but it obviously exists. The engineer who designed this door should be fired and then shot. The guy at the Dodge store told me that when he was a kid and he had 60s cars when this happened he take a jack and Jack the door up while it's open and bend the hinges back in. I tried this, and it worked!. Be careful though the metal at the bottom of the doors is thin and might deform.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?