2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

My Durango 2004 V8 5.7L ENGINE LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Durangatang01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

My engine check light came on tonight for the first time since I took possession of my o4 Durango. I bought it through a private sale a month ago. It had just over 106000 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. When I test drove the truck, there were no issues that I could find. The only thing that seemed a little out of place was a faulty oil warnign light that flashed incessently, mainly while under braking.
However, this morning, just as I was getting home from work, as I was coming to a stop, I felt the truck shudder under braking, as if it was fighting back against the fact that I needed to pull over. It continued to do that each time I needed to slow down or pull over at an intersection. When I parked it in the driveway, it did the same thing, even while pulled over and while in park.
This evening, while leaving for work, it started doing the same thing but as soon as I was backed out and put it in D, the truck moved effortlessly and without issue, that is until the engine check light came on not three hundred yards from the house. However, the engine pulls well, it accelerates smoothly off the line, it sounds normal.
Could any of you give me an idea of what it is I am experiencing?

Cheers and thank you!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What code or codes is showing?
FF

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Durangatang01

Because I am new to this vehicle, I wouldn't know where to look for a code or how to download it.
However, the light did go off the following day. I spoke to a friend of mine who has had two Durangos and once I explained what the symptoms had been, he explained that his trucks had done the same thing, especially when the it was raining heavily. That was when I started having the issue. He doesn't know what causes and neither do I. We assumed it could be that the engine had breated in some moisture but that only a wild guess...

Any pointers on how to obtain the codes the next time this or any other issues happens?

Cheers!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to start (not run) then back to on three times. The odometer will show a code instead of the mileage and it should be "P" followed by four numbers. Most auto parts stores will hook up a scanner to pull the codes for free.
FF

Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Durangatang01

Thanks for the tips... Much Appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 AM
tiffanyboone314
Default I can Help U

Originally Posted by HEMI DURANGO 2004
Okay, so now it happened to me today! I was driving down the road, the abs light popped on with achime, then the brake light came on with a chime, I thought oh it is just the brakes. Then a couple seconds later, the air bag light pops up with the chime and the speedometer stops working. Then finally, the check engine light decided to pop on too. I shut the engine off and when I turned it back on, everything except the check engine light was gone. Speedo worked again. I ran the code and it says U1120. I took the battery cable off to clear the check engine light, we'll see. I just wanted to throw this out because it seems like it is related to the computer in some way. Any help from anyone would be great. I have 42,000 miles and there are no freebies at the dealership.
Same thing happen to me EXCEPT the truck wouldn't shut off for like 5 seconds after I turned it off and I took it to Dodge dealer it was the electrical Module!
Thats NOT CHEAP!!!!

Quick Reply: My Durango 2004 V8 5.7L ENGINE LIGHT