2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

p0700 & p0740 help

Old 08-29-2008, 05:17 PM
importdezign
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb p0700 & p0740 help

Ok so first my throttle position sensor went out so I fixed that. I had all the fluids done. About a week later I guess my cap for the anti freeze would not hold pressure so the tranny fluid over heated so i got a new cap and flushed the tranny fluid again and reset the codes. Now I have a p0700 & p0740 code I know the p0700 is a gen. code but I want to know if its worth replacing the soilnoid? The shop said it was $400 and that he could not gaurentee that it would fix it. Also is it something internal or external? I have a friend at work who said he can replace it if its external cause he has never taken a-part a tranny and I have no idea.

I have spent almost a grand this month I just got brank and new rotors. I have 130,000 miles It has always ran great but after the throttle sensor went out everything went down hill from here. The car is at AMCCO and I trust them I guess but Im REALLY tight on money and I would like to know what people have done in this situation.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
mlkmgr
Rookie

i would get that car out of Aamco quickly. i have heard numerous horror stories from many others who have rebuilt/replaced their tranny at aamco's recomendation, only to need a new one in a year. very questionable practices if you ask me. if YOU trust them, by all means continue.

first off, did you replace your old fluid with ATF-4 (preferrably mopar) and not something else? these trannys are very sensitive to the type and amount of fluid inside.

diagnostics for a P0740 is check fluid level. if good, check the valve body. if good, replace the solenoid/pressure switch assembly and/or replace torque converter.

fluid level check is obvious. if your valve body was bad, it would not shift out of limp mode. the solenoid/pressure switch can be replaced (internally) but if the torque converter is shot, then you are looking at either a rebuild or new tranny.

if a new tranny is required, check your local yards for low mileage trannys. there should be a ton of them due to the high failure rate of the 2.7 engine in many treps. if none locally, try www.car-part.com. good luck........

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM
importdezign

Ok so what happen was I got all the fluids done, and like a week later the engine light came on, took it to the shop and they said the rad. cap was not holding pressure and the tranny fluid over heated so I got it flushed and new cap. Well few days later it came on again and when I brought it back he took it to a transmission shop well they wanted to take it apart to see what was wrong with it so i took it to Amcco and they said it was the solinoid and wanted like $400 so then I took it back to the other shop they took it a part and now they want to rebuild the whole thing for $1800 I called the dealer they want $2400 JUSt for the tranny but im not sure if they are pulling my leg cause when I asked them to replace just the soilnoid they wanted $900?!? So now I have my tranny apart and Im pretty much going to have to pay $1800 to get it fixed...any suggestions?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 AM
mlkmgr
Rookie

find another shop willing to swap out, what the other shop already took apart, with a used transmission. look for transmission by calling your local yards. i am sure there are plenty around. most rebuilds only last a year or two usually. primarily because aftermarket inferior parts are used to re-assemble it. where are you located at anyway??

if this is not an option, if you do go for the rebuild, INSIST on mopar only parts. shouldn't be much more expensive.

as for the dealer, their prices are always hella more expensive due to their high cost on parts and even more outrageous labor rates.

again, if it was my car, i would find a USED low mileage transmission and call around to find a shop willing to do the swap. it should be far less than the 1800 the one shop is asking for. ultimately it will up to you to decide if the car is worth the money and where you want to spend your money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: p0700 & p0740 help