2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

antifreeze leak from weep hole at thermostat housing

Old 09-13-2009, 04:16 PM
emc22navy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antifreeze leak from weep hole at thermostat housing

Have antifreeze leaking from what appears to be the weep hole at the thermostat housing on my 2.7L engine. Took it to CARX thinking it was the water pump but they said the leak was coming from the thermostat housing. So I replaced the thermostat, gasket and thermostat housing. All went well for about a week and now the leak is back from the same spot.

Question I have here is there something special I need to do do the cooling system to prevent the leakage from the weep hole?

Does all the air need to be removed from the system? As I probably did not remove all the air from the system after replacing the thermostat housing.

When antifreeze appears to be leaking from the weep hole, will leakage always be caused by the water pump or is this a sign that the cooling system is over pressurized or coming from other faulty components?

Any advise will be helpful as CARX wants about $2k to replace the water pump and some other parts for the timing chain and I am not sure if the problem is coming from the water pump.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The water pump is leaking. There are two weep holes for the water on the 2.7L. 1st one allows coolant to leak from the back of the intake and the other is above the t-stat housing. You will need to remove the timing chain replace the water.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The water pump is leaking. There are two weep holes for the water pump on the 2.7L. 1st one allows coolant to leak from the back of the intake and the other is above the t-stat housing. You will need to remove the timing chain replace the water.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 PM
jradams350

I agree with master tech. The water pump is on it's way out if the leak is at the front of the engine...

If you did not bleed out all of the air in the cooling system, the engine would start to overheat and you will see it on the dash...

Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
DESIREESAVENGER
Rookie

You need a waterpump. Take it to the dealer. I work at a dealer and have fixed many 2.7s after an independant replaced a waterpump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: antifreeze leak from weep hole at thermostat housing