2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

R/T random miss?? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
OnlyTaurus86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question R/T random miss?? Help please

This problem is puzzling the hell out of me..

My girl has a 2000 Intrepid with the 3.5L. The car sounds like its missing randomly. This is what i have done so far..

Changed plugs.
Checked fuel pressure. 60psi
Checked spark advance. Fine
Changed throttle position sensor.
Changed Cam position sensor.
Changed map sensor.

Now when the car first started missing it was very intermittent. maybe happened once every 5-10 minutes. now its horrible and barely drivable. anyways when it first started happening.. engine threw 7 codes for misfiring.. and it was for 1-3-5.. wierd??? after i changed plugs the code went away. now it went a couple days of driving before a new code came up.. No change in MAP sensor from start to run. Changed the Map and now its still throwing the same code plus a second one.. IAT sensor high input... ????? i know that the MAP and IAT are the same sensor. and i volt tested the connector and its supposed to read around 5 volts. Read 4.97 so i know the computer giving the right power. could it be a bad ground? it seems like one of the cylinders is just randomly dying and i have no clue.. if anyone has any ideas feel free to give me suggestions!! Thanks in advance guys

Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
OnlyTaurus86

anyone.. anyone have an idea even??

Old 03-25-2010, 03:04 PM
shak541

hello i too am having this issue on my 2.7 intrepid.. i read somewhere about the possiblity of the intake gasket leaking.. although mine while running floods itself with gas then fires later.. it became undrivable this morning.. had to pull over.. turned it off.. then back on and shes perfect!. does yours work fine after turning off then back on? as before it woudl misfire then work fine after a good pop!.. but this morning was horrible! any ideas?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
shak541

maybe spark plug wires?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
OnlyTaurus86

no it still does it regardless. i checked my wire by pulling each one while engines running and they all miss the same.. even rev'd it while they were unplugged to cuz it only messes up when its around 3 grand and on. i checked voltages in some sensors and theyre reading higher than they should.. so im think the computers bad ?? the camshaft sensor is reading 8.5 volts when it should be between 4 and 5v. and the intake air temp is reading 2.7 when it should be between .5 and 2v

Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
OnlyTaurus86

anybody know of a way to check if the computers bad?? one of my buddys told me to hammer the computer with a rubber mallet and see what it does.. if it screws things up worse then its the problem haha

Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Before I busted out the rubber malet, I'd change the wire set...even if you tried pulling the wires one at a time. As you said before, you had multi-misses so just pulling one may not make a noticable diffrence. Just try a quick "lay in" of the wires without stringing them in.

Also how about the coil pack?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
OnlyTaurus86

they're coil over boots.. and are 45 bucks a piece. i dont really think its the problem and nor do i wanna spend 260 bucks and the problem still exist haha no offense. i did checked continuity of the wires and theyre all solid tho. with all new plugs

he's another thing.. two codes always pop up in the computer.. when i check them with scanner.. two codes are always different. id erase the two that pop up.. erase them and a day or two later two more pop up and theyre completely different.. and so on. gotta be the computer.. or grounds? what you think?

Quick Reply: R/T random miss?? Help please