2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2002 intrepid engine lite comes on and rpm spikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011 | 02:37 PM
dadcanck
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 intrepid engine lite comes on and rpm spikes

i am not much of a car guy but i have a 2002 intrepid that i have taken to get fixed at 2 different Dodge dealers and they can't seem to find the problem.
what happens is the car will run fine then when started the engine light comes on the the car while parked will rev up and then go back to normal.
if you drive it feels like the car is shutting down and then starting again. this happens no matter what the speed. it also uses two or three times the gas if you drive it. If you let it set for 2 or three days the issue goes away and the car is good until the next time which could be a week or months.
We have had 2 sensors put in and the sensor recalibrated but it keeps happening. The techs can't seem to find a reason that this keeps happening.
i know this is not much to go on but does anyone have any ideas. the car only has 90,000 miles on it so it shouldn't be shot yet.
thanks for any help.
doug

Old 10-01-2011 | 10:45 PM
roadrunner392005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.. Idk if i my prob was the same as urs. I had a 99 intrepid(3.2). I would start it up and would idle up and then it would really start to shake and rpms would jump up and down.. I found if ya just held the rpms up at around 2500-3000 pms for maybe a minute or two and let em fall back down it would b fine and it would do this maybe once in a great while.. Oh.. And my motor had around 260,000 miles on it and it never died.. I say dont worry about it..

Quick Reply: 2002 intrepid engine lite comes on and rpm spikes