2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

NEW 2.7 tensioner won't pump up and hold.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:48 PM
mdadams99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW 2.7 tensioner won't pump up and hold.

I have a 2004 Intrepid 2.7 l. I started to get a knocking from the primary tensioner at startup. One night while driving noise became constant. I pulled over and towed it home. Opened the engine up and saw slack between the passenger cam and water pump. Diagnosed it as tensioner failure. I did the complete replacement including water pump. I was verifying correct timing and noticed the primary tensioner was popping every time I rotated to a compression in the engine. I put it all together and at startup, sure enough, tapping, and no solid tension on the guide. I thought I got a crap tensioner, pulled it out and found the o-ring torn??? inspected the bore, wiped it down, got another tensioner, installed it and again the tensioner is popping at startup and won't prime up.

Is there a trick to installing the tensioner??
Can it be primed if you have to insert it in the cocked position?
Could it be the oil pump? I cranked it while the cover was off, oil shot out of secondary tensioner along with lifters.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Blackgolem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner problems?

What is funny about your post is that it was awhile ago and still has no responses your problem like my own must be pretty serious. I thought my tensioner was click-clacking also my thoughts are it could be the primary timing chain guides are worn possible bent valve I at this point have my entire engine torn apart
Originally Posted by mdadams99
I have a 2004 Intrepid 2.7 l. I started to get a knocking from the primary tensioner at startup. One night while driving noise became constant. I pulled over and towed it home. Opened the engine up and saw slack between the passenger cam and water pump. Diagnosed it as tensioner failure. I did the complete replacement including water pump. I was verifying correct timing and noticed the primary tensioner was popping every time I rotated to a compression in the engine. I put it all together and at startup, sure enough, tapping, and no solid tension on the guide. I thought I got a crap tensioner, pulled it out and found the o-ring torn??? inspected the bore, wiped it down, got another tensioner, installed it and again the tensioner is popping at startup and won't prime up.

Is there a trick to installing the tensioner??
Can it be primed if you have to insert it in the cocked position?
Could it be the oil pump? I cranked it while the cover was off, oil shot out of secondary tensioner along with lifters.

Quick Reply: NEW 2.7 tensioner won't pump up and hold.