2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Airbag light on-no blinker/radio/etc....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 PM
nav-vet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light on-no blinker/radio/etc....

New to forum, but have read many posts over the years. My 04 intrepid and i have a long history together. Ive split knuckles, lost sweat, lost sleep, and been frustrated a time or two with it. But i like the car alot so its worth it. In fact ive made it a goal to keep her going untill she reaches 200K (@147K now).

So a little over a year ago i started to get an airbag light on. Sometimes at start up, other times it would randomly come and go while driving. Googled the heck out of these symptoms and what little i found pointed to the BCM or clockspring switch. Just ordered a replacement clockspring and it appeared to be ok. Well i came back. I was looking everything over like checking electric connections etc. When i moved the wire harness that connects to the ignition switch i heard the vent fan come on and the airbag light went off. I moved it again a few times and could get it to come on and go off again. With the vent on i was holding the connector in place thinking it was a loose connection i felt the black with red stripe wire get very hot, then the vent went off and airbag light came back on. In this state the wire started to cool off. If i leave the vent fan off the wire never gets hot. Sooooo.....im leaning towards the vent fan pulling too much current and playing hell with the BCM causing thing to go awry. I have never had a blown fuse occur in any ckt in the car the whole time ive owned it so i had never even pullex off the fuse block cover prior to tonight. My baynes manual schematics are a joke so im going to google the heck out of prints for it and see what i can trace down as my issue.

I hope anyone else thats havinv this problem may get some useful info out of this thread as i sill follow up with the root cause once i track it down.

Thanks,
T

Old 07-24-2016, 09:07 PM
nav-vet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well yesterday i found good set of prints and went to work. I isolated each ckt that is fed off of the black/orange wire that was getting hot. The blower motor ckt for the vent wouldnt work at the low or medium 1 or med 2 positions previously so i took the selector switch apart and cleaned off the contacts. Pjt it back together and all levels for blower speed work again. Any speed below full wouldnt heat up the wire either. I drove it arou d a bit in town and could get airbag livht to go away by putting slight upward and in pressure on switch. Today i shelled out 31 bucks on a new ignition switch at local parts store and put it in. Wire gets a little warm on full blower speed but nothing like it did before. So far no airbag light. Will see in a few days.

I see that the original post got several views so i have to assume that others may have heard of an issue similar to this or are dealing with same issue (purely a guess on my part since no one responded). Anyway, i hope someone gets some useful dire tion out of it.

T

Quick Reply: Airbag light on-no blinker/radio/etc....