2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2001 Intrepid 2.7 burns coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 AM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Intrepid 2.7 burns coils

This car has a bit of a story to it, that i will try to keep brief. It is a 2001 intrepid, 2.7, auto, that sat for about 6 years, due to a blown engine. When the car was bought, it came with another 2.7, that has since been changed. Engine wiring harness has also been changed, as well as a bunch of small parts. I got the car running yesterday, finished putting in the radiator, let it sit idling for a bit while i bled the cooling system, and, while it was idling, i noticed it burnt the middle coil on the drivers side. I replaced that coil, it ran about 10 minutes, and burnt that coil. I then pulled the intake plenum, unplugged the harness from the PCM, and checked for a short to ground, which i did not find, nor did i find any chewed, burnt, or crushed wires. I then plugged the harness back into the PCM, and just to see, checked for continuity, and with the harness plugged into the PCM, had a short to ground, or so it seems, on that one coil. However, i have been told not to check the wires with it plugged into the PCM. Basically, with the harness plugged into the PCM, i seem to have continuity between both terminals of the plug for that coil, as well as continuity to ground from both sides of the plug. Wouldnt that imply that the PCM is bad? I alos did the same test to the coil plugs by taking the old engine harness, and plugging that into the PCM, without hooking it to anything on the engine, and got the same results.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:30 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You have a capacitor on both banks. They are single wire and are held to the valve covers by a nut or small screw.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:32 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

this may not apply to your concern. 1 have seen melted coils on a Nissan pathfinder. the vehicle had been in an accident and was misfiring after the repair. the coil plastic housing were melted. all 6 coils were replaced and the new coils melted also. the fix; multiple engine to chassis grds were not connected after the collision repair. connecting the grd and replacing the coils fixed the problem. I suspect if the discharge has a hard time finding grd, its hard on the ignition module.

Last edited by primem; 07-26-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Intrepid 2.7 burns coils