2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

o i didnt see the 60mph thing. if you can drive through the vibration(it goes away after you go faster) it is the tire balancing, and if it gets worse, you need an alignment

Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

My steering wheel used to shake like CRAZY anytime I would go over 60mph. I got my wheel aligned, my tires balanced and now it's back to smooth.

Since i've put in the motor mounts, my ride is a LOT smoother, but my idle in drive is really shaky. I really hate it but stopping feels a lot nicer and shifting is smoother. I get the same thing you do in idle though.

Get your tires balanced, wheel aligned and motor mounts.

Altogether should cost you $100 and a couple cuts and scratches.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:11 PM
thisisrightnow

ORIGINAL: Adionik

My steering wheel used to shake like CRAZY anytime I would go over 60mph. I got my wheel aligned, my tires balanced and now it's back to smooth.

Since i've put in the motor mounts, my ride is a LOT smoother, but my idle in drive is really shaky. I really hate it but stopping feels a lot nicer and shifting is smoother. I get the same thing you do in idle though.

Get your tires balanced, wheel aligned and motor mounts.

Altogether should cost you $100 and a couple cuts and scratches.
Wouldn't it be necessary to just go ahead and get all new tires while I'm at it? Cause when I went to get my car checked out last summer at Dodge, they told me all my wheels had different tread on them, and thats why my car was shaky, and I needed an aligment. So I figured first it'd be wise to at least get my tires balanced and see what that does, and then if that doesn't fix the problem, get all new tires. But I'll also get my motor mounts checked out. Although my step dad doesn't seem to think it could be my motor mounts, he thinks it's my tires. Cause he said tires with all different tread will effect how your car drives.

How much does it cost roughly to get your wheel aligned? I know Walmart charges like $5 per tire for balancing, so I was just gonna go there.

And the shaking gets worse with the faster I go.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Kapitald
Captain

I really despise wal-mart but balancing and alignments are two different things....my alignment for front and rear cost me $60 - $70 bucks I think...If I were you I would go ahead and get all new tires and an alignment and motor mounts...that way if your problem persists you know its something else....maybe you'll get lucky fixing it with the motor mounts because sitting at a red light cant be any type of tire problem just for the mere fact that your sitting still...

Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
thisisrightnow

I just hate spending all kinds of money guessing at what could be wrong, but I'll call the dealership tomorrow and talk to the manager about getting a 2nd loan for tires since I know I need new tires, and I'll probably just pay for the alignment out of my pocket since I have a coupon for a place that does a 4 wheel alignment for $49.

And hopefully eventually I'll find out what mounts need replaced, if any.. and go from there. I emailed a guy who advertised on Craigslist saying he is ASE certified and he works on cars from his home, and he would charge me anywhere from $50-$100 for labor per hour, depending on which ones need replaced, but I could buy the parts myself. It's just a matter of coming up with the money. I'll probably still call around and see what other people would charge. I was on Auto Zone's site and the mounts are only about $33 a piece, which isn't tooo bad. I just hope they don't all need replaced, but knowing my luck, that'll be the case. I miss living by my dad.. cause he used to do all my car work, so I never had to pay labor costs.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM
STR8 Intrepid

i had the same problem on my intrepid
I had a bad ignition coil so i replaced it
The shaking went right away

Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lawlz

Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
99avngr

My Neon was doing the same thing when i stopped at redlights or a stop sign. Whats happening is your car has a slight miss and when your stopped your trans is still wanting to go and putting a strain on your motor and thats gonna make it idle rough shake and have vibration

Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
angelmay

It's not your tires, my car shakes too at stop signs, (i have a 2004 dodge) or when i have it in drive waiting. I have 4 brand new tires on mine and alignment and the whole works. I'm thinking its my motor mounds too, the one on top looks good but i can't see the other ones. Going to take it to the garage to find out, when i have the answer i will post in case anybody else has this problem. I hate being ripped off by garages telling you something different to get your money. Thank goodness i know a little about cars.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys are referring to the torque struts as motor mounts. The torque struts do go bad, but if you really want to improve your Neon, you should replace your right side motor mount. I was flipping an 03 SXT and it had a terrible vibration idling or driving. I changed both torque struts and the right motor mount (in the frame) and it was like a new car. It was then I realized that was the problem with my wife's 02 SXT, so I did the same thing on her car and wow; what an improvement. It now drives like it did 10 years ago when we bought it. The rubber on the mount was torn and it was oozing oil. Apparently they are filled with oil. I would say anybody with some basic hand tools, a jack and a manual could do the job in a couple of hours. Just be sure to do the torque strut alignment procedure afterwards.

Quick Reply: Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?