2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM
illriginalized
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?

Don't think it's the oil pressure sending unit.. I should get an oil pressure light or a CEL right?

Guessing more than likely it's Rear main seal. Has anyone had the seal replaced? How much money am I looking at to replace the seal? After doing research apparently it's one of the most PITA seal to replace.

I'm going with the Fel-Pro - Rear Main Seal Set since apparently it makes the seal replacement a lot easier.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Also anyone know if the tranny has to be completely detached or can you just simply remove/loosen a few bolts to replace the seal?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by illriginalized

Don't think it's the oil pressure sending unit.. I should get an oil pressure light or a CEL right?
No, and it is not uncommon at all for that thing to leak and get oil everywhere.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could have a leaking sending unit without a light, but it looks like your leak is up higher. The electrical harness behind the head looks like it's soaked, so possibly valve cover gasket or cam sensor. I would get some degreaser and clean it up, then look for the leak. You can use a flashlight and mirror to check for leaks in the back. The transaxle and flexplate have to be removed to replace the rear crankshaft seal, so I would definately elimninate other possibilities before going that route.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
No, and it is not uncommon at all for that thing to leak and get oil everywhere.
Interesting.

Originally Posted by richards83
You could have a leaking sending unit without a light, but it looks like your leak is up higher. The electrical harness behind the head looks like it's soaked, so possibly valve cover gasket or cam sensor. I would get some degreaser and clean it up, then look for the leak. You can use a flashlight and mirror to check for leaks in the back. The transaxle and flexplate have to be removed to replace the rear crankshaft seal, so I would definately elimninate other possibilities before going that route.
Cam sensor?? As in the position sensor? When I replaced it, there was no trace of oil anywhere around the sensor.

I'll try to look behind the valve cover again, I think it's actually dry @ the valve cover. Otherwise I'll be more than happy to replace the gasket myself, that's easy.

I was talking to another Neon owner (he has an SRT-4) he said either head gasket but then I would feel loss of compression, which I personally don't think is the case, or it's the rear main seal, if it was the oil sending unit, I would have gotten a light.. but apparently not, according to darth.

I'll check in a few minutes. I really hope it is the valve cover, something easy and quick.. not expensive <_<;

Edit: If it's not the valve cover and not the camshaft sensor (which I know it's not, I just replaced it on Friday of this last week and that oil's been there since possession of the car), I'll try to clean up the area and check again after a drive.

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Wow... nice call!

Behind valve cover:

Some other shots:

1. This gasket must have been leaking for a long *** time to be able to push out that much oil down below. But what's interesting is that it's not even that wet... though... there's drops of oil where I park.

2. LOL @ my camera finding my Camshaft position sensor screw. Looks like the last person who replaced the sensor lost the screw. Which was a mechanic while the car was under my brother's possession.

Guess I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket and putting that screw back in its place.

Should I go with OEM valve cover gasket or is aftermarket good to go? If aftermarket I can do the replacement right now. If OEM, I have to wait for it to arrive in the mail which can take up to 1 week.

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-11-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

That green connector is for the oil pressure switch. Looks a lot like the issue I had.https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...osing-oil.html

Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by buddhaman
That green connector is for the oil pressure switch. Looks a lot like the issue I had.https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...osing-oil.html
The bright green connector in my last post?? Oh lawd. One thing after another.

Was it easy to replace? I'm going to grab that screw real quick and put it back in place. I didn't take the time to read your thread, my apologies.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Do both,front &rear,it never fails to replace one then the other goes,beside it's already to go.Just a thought..........

Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

After further investigation.. I've decided to just purchase a full engine gasket set.

Not sure if this will cover the rear main + oil pressure switch:
Fel-Pro:
Part # HS9036PT2

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2290&ppt=C0026

This car lost half of the oil in a matter of 2 weeks.

Quite honestly.. if this car has anymore problems beyond the gasket/seal replacement, timing belt, water pump, motor mounts etc... I think I'm just gonna sell it and go back to owning Japanese. The very fact that this car only has 130k miles on it and is leaking oil from multiple locations proves to me that Dodge fails to deliver on quality. The only thing that looks like is not leaking out of this car.. looks like the head. I will investigate again after I use degreaser and pressure clean the engine/motor. But I don't see any potential for this vehicle with the amount of trouble it has piled on itself.

As a reference point, I own an 1996 Infiniti I30 with just over 260k miles on the motor and tranny. I've only had to replace all the seals/gaskets within the valve cover. My engine only leaked oil once and that was from the valve cover, no where else.

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-11-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?