2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

DOHC PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:47 PM
2000silverneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOHC PCM

What year(s) DOHC PCM will swap into my 2000 neon ES?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
culthuu
Default RE: DOHC PCM

Be very careful with 2nd Gen Neon PCMs. You can't swap them easily and even the cleanest swap will require a trip to the dealer to program the PCM. I know from bitter firsthand knowledge the problems. I've posted the following facts before but I'll do it again so you get some idea of what you need to do.

First and most important the PCM in any Neon after 2000 cannot simply be swapped for one you get out of a similar car, even the same year. There are 4 numbers on the PCM that must match and then you can swap them but you will have to tow the car to the dealer to have the VIN programmed into the new computer. I didn’t know this and thought I could swap computers between two 2000 Neons. I was lucky and only hosed the computer in one of them.
Second you can hose a car that runs perfectly by taking the computer out and putting it in another car. I thought that was impossible but it’s not. Apparently there are systems in the car that can spike a PCM and if you simply replace it then you wind up with 2 dead computers. My local dealer and a repair shop that specializes in MOPAR computer problems verified this to me.
Third the PCM in a Neon can ‘forget’ if you remove it. I couldn’t understand how this can happen but I’ve been assured it can. It doesn’t always happen but apparently it can. You disconnect the computer and when you hook it back up it’s forgotten the VIN. This is apparently something that happens to OBD2 computers in MOPARs and GMs. If it happens you have to tow the car to the dealer or a shop that has the equipment and have the computer reprogrammed. Again this was verified by my local dealer and a local shop that specializes in MOPAR computers. I still don’t understand how this can happen but occasionally it will. Just disconnecting the battery doesn’t do it but unplugging the PCM can.
I’ve learned this all by very expensive experience. I now know more than I ever wanted to about the PCMs in Neons. I spent an entire day running around looking for a computer before a guy in one of the last junkyards I went to told me about the VIN problem. If you need a new computer order one off of ebay and they’ll program it and ship it to you. Just remember if it died then it’s possible that it was one of the systems in the car that killed it and when you put the new on in you could kill it too. The best thing to do is tow it to the dealer and let them fix it. The only downside to that is they’ll charge you for a new PCM.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
2000silverneon

alright, didn't realize that..thanks a lot! how bout the af/x PCMs on howell automotive, won't those throw a code?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 AM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

2 things

1. from what i have heard howell automotive blows

2. why a DOHC pcm? the only DOHC neons were some 1st gens and the 2.4l SRT-4... it would be such a pain trying to get it to work and forget ur timing

Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
2000silverneon

I know there are some SOHC owners that have swapped their PCM for the DOHC for different fuel maps and spark timing

Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM
underground6t9
Rookie

I have an af/x pcm and the only code that I got was p0420 with is no big deal. The car runs awesome I highly recomend it

Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
2000silverneon

do you have the street/strip or the Race...so i guess that means it won't pass inspection

Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Andpto
All Star

a dohc pcm will not work. will dump to much fuel, air ratio different, different cam timing, etc......

either run megasquirt of the afx from the con artist howell

Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
2000silverneon

haha I love how everyone bashes howell...so is there anyway to avoid throwing a code with the AF/x PCM?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
underground6t9
Rookie

I have the street pcm, I will replace the o2 sensor and I will let you know if that clears the code.

Quick Reply: DOHC PCM