Lower Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
N30N
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lower Control Arm Bushings

ORIGINAL: Unoriginal Name

Just a quick little update here. I found a local shop who will do it for me. So including parts and labor it will cost me $170. Far less than the $450 that the big names wanted so I'm happy. I'm dropping the car off tonight and they are going to work on it tomorrow.

I have one more question....should I be asking them to do an alignment then too?

Thanks again for all the help!
i would see how much it is but i think you would want to...170??????for what exactly

Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

i def. need lower control arm busings, mine are pretty much ripped all the way out. not good, but one day ill replace them

Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
N30N
Record Breaker

yea like on my drivers side back ones on one side theres no bushing,like i can get under it and wiggle the controlarm about an inch on that one side.so ill be getting it done soon...

Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 AM
stuckemn
Default Does it need alignment?

Hey I was reading this thread because my 2003 Neon SXT needs new lower control arm bushings. I wanted to do it myself, but will it need an alignment once I replace the bushings? I just had an alignment and the shop will let me upgrade to get another one for $25.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:27 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional
Default Just did mine this morning

Originally Posted by Unoriginal Name
Hi,

I recently had my car in for an oil change at the dealer and they came back and told me I need to replace the lower control arm bushings. Reading through the internet it sounds like this is common for my 2003 Neon. They quoted a price of $450 including labor. It seemed kinda pricey to me so I took my car to Firestone where I usually go for an oil change on my other car and let them look at it. They quoted me at $430 but said I would need an alignment too for another $70. The description on the recommended service says: K7471 Lo Ctrol Arm Bushing/Kit Remove and replace control arm shaft and bushing, lower, both sides. The parts are $40 for each side. If I have them do this can I be sure that I won't have to replace bushings in the future?

Also, I talked to Midas and he said he would do it but he would replace the control arms along with the bushings and it would be $700-$750.

All this is quite pricey...are these reasonable prices or should I keep looking for someone else to do it?

Thanks!
I ordered the parts from Amazon, just over $100 and yes you will have to do check alignment too. Job was not too difficult. I did have to raise the engine on the driver's side to get the horizontal 13/16 bolt off. When you take the vertical 24mm vertical bolt be very careful. The nut is inside the car's body & just tack welded on. Go slow, if the bolt just spins than you have to go thru the floorboard to hold the nut from spinning. No fun. You have to remove the lower strut mount so do inspect it for cracks while you have it out. In fact you might want the check the upper one too under the hood. It took my about 4 hours but I was in no rush. since I live on Maui with high humidity and ocean spray I gave the threads a coating of anti-seize.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
SriLankanMJ

Originally Posted by sbhawaiian
I ordered the parts from Amazon, just over $100 and yes you will have to do check alignment too. Job was not too difficult. I did have to raise the engine on the driver's side to get the horizontal 13/16 bolt off. When you take the vertical 24mm vertical bolt be very careful. The nut is inside the car's body & just tack welded on. Go slow, if the bolt just spins than you have to go thru the floorboard to hold the nut from spinning. No fun. You have to remove the lower strut mount so do inspect it for cracks while you have it out. In fact you might want the check the upper one too under the hood. It took my about 4 hours but I was in no rush. since I live on Maui with high humidity and ocean spray I gave the threads a coating of anti-seize.
How much torque do you need to apply when tightening those three bolts (vertical, horizontal and ball joint)? Thank you in advance!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear (Vertical)- 175 Ft Lbs
Front (Horizontal)- 120 Ft Lbs
Ball Joint Pinch Bolt & Nut- 70 Ft Lbs

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushings