2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Lower Control Arm Bushings

Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Bushings

Hi,

I recently had my car in for an oil change at the dealer and they came back and told me I need to replace the lower control arm bushings. Reading through the internet it sounds like this is common for my 2003 Neon. They quoted a price of $450 including labor. It seemed kinda pricey to me so I took my car to Firestone where I usually go for an oil change on my other car and let them look at it. They quoted me at $430 but said I would need an alignment too for another $70. The description on the recommended service says: K7471 Lo Ctrol Arm Bushing/Kit Remove and replace control arm shaft and bushing, lower, both sides. The parts are $40 for each side. If I have them do this can I be sure that I won't have to replace bushings in the future?

Also, I talked to Midas and he said he would do it but he would replace the control arms along with the bushings and it would be $700-$750.

All this is quite pricey...are these reasonable prices or should I keep looking for someone else to do it?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Adionik
Champion
Default RE: Lower Control Arm Bushings

Oh hell no

Order the prothane bushing kit and pay a mechanic $60 to install them

http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...de62388c545070

This is a super common problem on neons. I saved you hours of searching and smart *** comments...

Old 06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

Thanks,

I've seen that kit mentioned before and getting a mechanic to install them. Excuse me being naive here though I haven't dealt much with mechanics...how do I get one to install it for me if the places I've gone to so far have wanted $350 labor?

Thanks for the help....I really appreciate it!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Adionik
Champion

I'm not sure where you're located but check for a rinky dinky mexican tire shop. I'm mexican so i'm allowed to say that...but usually they'll give you the best rates. It's awfully hard to screw up on that install considering it's unbolt, burn out the old bushings, bolt back up (Without a WHOLE LOT OF CUSSING inbetween that)

If you are not mechanically inclined I would suggest not doing it, otherwise you can probably knock it out yourself in a few hours with a torch and the right sockets.

But don't go to a "midas" or expensive shop like that, they'll put it in your butt. ****ing brake check stole my air filter.

Even if you have to pay $100 for the install, do it. Show them the bushings, show them where they need to go in and voila. It's worth it not to do the install yourself. [&:]

Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Exubus
Champion

I wouldn't take my car to Midas even if the labor was free... they do sh** work IMO.

If you're somewhat knowledgeable and have the tools, or at least willing to try it, I would suggest trying it yourself if you've got the right stuff to do it.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

oh my god.....finally someone with my problem...i can get the bushings for the control arms at 0-reilys for 15 bucks each.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

plus i need this on one side...instalation for this should be no more then 100.so take it to a shop and you tell them what to do.so they dont add unessesary SHI*

Old 06-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Unoriginal Name
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Adionik

Oh hell no

Order the prothane bushing kit and pay a mechanic $60 to install them

http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...de62388c545070

This is a super common problem on neons. I saved you hours of searching and smart *** comments...
This is going to sound really dumb but isthat kit for both sides or would I need two kits?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 PM
contagious19
Champion

i believe dats for both sides. im getting ready to do all of my suspension bushings. we have a press so it should be fairly easy. plus my dads a mechanic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushings