2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

awd conversion

Old 08-16-2008, 05:15 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a sweet idea, but like others have pointed out unless you have all the parts around, are very mechanically inclined, and have a lot of cash then its definitely not worth it. I think on one of the other neon sites I remember seeing someone swapping a impreza engine and drivetrain into a neon. I don't know whatever happened to that. I don't visit that site hardly at all, and I remember seeing this years ago. I would take a RWD or AWD neon in a heartbeat, but I don't have the time, space, tools, and more importantly the CASH to do something like that.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smallblockfreak
Well people like me can do all this work themselves instead of sending it out to have someone else do it. You don't have to be the best metal worker or fabricator. You will respect and love your vehicle more with all the hard work you did and take pride in making it unique. Some people will like it and of course there will be nay sayers there always are but as long as your happy with your vehicle thats what matters most. Not how much you dropped in it. That means nothing as far as i'm concernded. If a neon pulled up with the 4 cylinder all built and completely modified done by a shop i'd walk away from it, then a neon pulled up with a V8 and looked ****ty and ran ****ty i wouldn't care the person was putting there all into the car doing it all himself it would be a better vehicle than the show neon..
Oh no if you actually pull it off we'll be impressed, but by no means are any of us willing to attempt this... i mean unless you have a FULL shop in your garage or access to one... you are going to need just about every hand, power, pneumatic, hydraulic tool known to the automotive world... as well as a TIG welder... sorry but MIG just WONT cut it as far as structural strength is concerned... so I hope you have all the tools and the $ to do it... its not just the parts that are expensive its the man-hours involved with that project... and if you use the Neon chassis/frame, I swear to god I will donkey punch you in real life.. b/c you will be kicking yourself in the @$$ after you disappoint us b/c you ran outa time/money to finish the project...but if you choose to go ahead with it, take a crap load of pics and dont even think for a second you will be allowed to spare us any details... :-D good luck

Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Exubus
Champion

I like the idea of using the 3.0 RT/TT setup, but it would take a lot of fabrication under the car to get it even close to right. You really would want to do it just to do it, or to have or something, because the time and cost that would go into it would not pay itself back IMO.

I saw a guy/group in Michigan that did a RWD mod to an '04 with a new Hemi in it... the fabrication involved had to be beyond belief.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 AM
mothersfallenangel

it can easily be done, all u need is a 2000 model awd Dodge/chrysler van as a donor vehicle and custom drive shaft. that's what I'm doing to my 97 Stratus but I can't find the transmission I want (6 speed semi auto)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: awd conversion