2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Water leaks on an '02

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
quad dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaks on an '02

Has there been any issues with water leaks on the Neons? My daughter got in her '02 Neon last night and she called me saying that the speedo and tach were not working. I told her to take it back home and I would check it later. I got home and started it up, took it for a ride and had no similar problems. Only problem I had with it was the dome light did not want to go out and the 'door' light above odometer would not go out either - it was like the door was not closed or something. I check arround opening & closing all the doors and for some reason I reach behind the passenger seat and there is about an inch of water. I then open the trunk and lift the spare tire cover and if the spare was not anchored down it would have been floating like in 4" of water. I say WTF!!! I also find the back seat bottom is soaking wet. All the wires that run under the carpeting are soaked and I am wondering if that would play havoc with the eletrical - speed/tach not working, dome light not going out.

Do the Neons have a problem with the backglass leaking or should I look for something else?

I guess I am going to have to rip the whole interior out - have to anyways to get the floor dry and replace the padding - and run it through a car wash or spray it down with a hose. We did have alot of rain over the weekend - Ike - and as far as I know all the doors were fully shut.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

water can be forced into any car during a highwind/rain event. having a window down does not explain water in the trunk. i would say that IKE is to blame. call your insurance company if you have full coverage or you think the damage is more than your deductable.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:39 PM
quad dad

We really didn't have a lot of wind when it rained but the car was angled - front higher than the back - which would explain water in the trunk.

Would the water do those wierd things to the electrical system?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by quad dad
We really didn't have a lot of wind when it rained but the car was angled - front higher than the back - which would explain water in the trunk.

Would the water do those wierd things to the electrical system?
dry it up and see how it is. if its just wet then it should return to normal.

as far as water in the trunk... the trunk is considerably higher up than the floor of the passenger compartment, so i dont think the water ran into the trunk from a leak in the passenger area. theres a few things you can check. look at the seals around the trunk and make sure theres no sticks or leaves built up around them. also, neons tend to leak water behind the dash. i think it comes from clogged drain holes in the a/c-heating ducts that come from the area in the back of the hood. the water makes its way through the vents and ends up on the floor of the drivers side. that water could roll to the back seat area. i have never seen more than a few drops come from mine even during the heaviest rains. so, im not sure where the water came from. maybee a window WAS open or not sealed tightly????

Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 PM
contagious19
Champion

u should try pressing everysingle of the door light sensor. press it in and c if da dome light turns off, if it does dan it would be dat sensor.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

check the trunk wheatherstripping. When i first got my neon the trunk would leak cause the wheaterstripping was all bent. Went to the dealer and spent 130something and all fixed. I didnt want that cheap universal crap.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM
ewetho
All Star

Also read numerous threads about the taillight seals leaking into the trunk.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

reasons for water in our trunk include:

- Bad seal around the trunk
- Bad Tail Light Seal
- If you have a spoiler, it might be coming through the wholes in the spoiler (can be solved by going to the hardware store and buying a strip of caulk and puttying it up)
- A Suddenly Empty of once was a giant container of water

Ruling the 4th option out, I think we have some viable reasons.

A good way to check is to pull the car into the garage or working area, grabbing a bottle or cup of water, and pouring it over the trunk, wait a moment, and then open the trunk. The once dry and now wet area's are good indicators of possible problems.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
mjs182004
Veteran

mine did the exact same thing, i had 4 inches of water in the trunk where the spare is. i was like wtf. took it to the dealer and the said there was nothing wrong with it. dealers are a waste of time and money. but anyway i replaced my stock taillights with aftermarket ones and the water leak has never came back. on the crappy side about a month later i had to replace the instrument panel because the tach and the speedo wernt working. im not sure but its almost a cowinkiedink.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

at the dealer i worked at a few years ago, there were a few 2gn neons that had to come back for a new tail light seal b/c the trunk was leaking. also might want to take a look at that weather stripping. and look around the trunk seal in the channel water would take out... make sure there is no debris there.

Quick Reply: Water leaks on an '02