2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil Pressure Warning Light

Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Warning Light

I am running 5W-30, and it had started getting a tad chilly up here at night (into the 30's). Usually now, for some reason, the oil pressure warning light pops up if I am starting my car in the morning. I let it warm up a minute and then turn it off and back on, and the light always stays off. I've never experienced a low oil pressure start up on a car? Usually the oil pressure is higher than most any other normal idle condition upon start up? I'm more curious as to why this has started happening because it is really annoying having to turn the car on, then off, then back on every morning to get the light off.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Also, to add: I just changed the oil about 20 miles ago. The oil pressure sensor was very loose causing massive amounts of oil to leak out (this was before the recent oil change). I tightened it up, though it does seem to have started after that? I disconnected the plug, tightened it, and then reconnected the plug so I'd have a hard time thinking I messed the sensor up. It still drips a drop of oil here and there, but I'm curious how tightening that thing up could possibly make it not work properly?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Talked to the service manager at Dodge today and he recommended replacement of the sensor. He said since it was loose it wasn't reading the pressure correctly, and now that it is tightened, it is reading correctly, though I don't low oil pressure??? IDK. I bought a new Mopar sensor and bought a 1 1/16" Deep Socket so it isn't a PITA trying to change it without the right tools. Don't know when I will get to it, but I imagine I will be waiting until my next oil change so I am not losing 1/2 of my brand new oil.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
lilreddakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was wondering if you changed sensor yet and why you think you will loose your oil changing the oil pressure sensor unless the engine is running when you do it. its not in the oil pan is it? that would be a oil level sensor,do neons have oil level sensors?I am having the same problem with mine minus the oil leak. oil light stays on when started,turn off key and turn back on light is out with engine off ,light off w/no oil pressure? WTF, restart engine and light stays off. also running 5w30 as always with 136,000 miles

Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its prolly just a faulty sensor... and you might need a special socket... I know i needed one for mine when i took it off to install the oil pressure gauge sensor... biggest PITA ever btw... remember NOT to over tighten it when you put it in, also change it when the car is COLD... less oil will come out when ur taking it out... if you are worried about it leaking again then use something called Pipe Dope on the threads just be careful NOT to get any INSIDE the sensor as that could cause clogging or motor issues that no one wants to ever deal with... but yea thats my $.02 good luck :-D

side note: what brand oil are you using? also you should see if you can check how much oil pressure you have at start-up it should be between 30-50 PSI.... if its under 30 you might have a bad oil pump....

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
lilreddakota
Rookie

I'd like to tap a gauge in when i change it just to have one,drive 75 miles round trip to work,would be nice to see pressure. always used Kendal until recently then they switched to synthetic-blend only and now supplier doesn't carry it anymore,used valvoline for last oil change on everything

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a bad oil by any means.... what i said prior stands... check those bases and we'll go from there....

Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Like you stated your sensor is probably bad. Your pressure should be higher when its cold. Mine is ALWAYS higher when the engine is cold. You will leak little to no oill if you change the oil sensor as long as the car is off. I wouldn't do it while its running anyhow since the sensor is on the back of the engine near the exhaust header which can get red hot. The dummy oil sensor comes on when the oil pressure is very low. I forget the numbers, but it only comes on when the pressure is scary low. So, since your car sounds like it is running fine, it is most likely the sensor.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

anyone know how much the sensor is?

i have this same problem in winter times.

so by reading trough the responses i think ill change my sensor.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

also for s**ts and giggles, check the oil level.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Warning Light