2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Neon Water pump replacement

Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 AM
white538
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 Neon Water pump replacement

Hi Group, My daughter's Neon is leaking bad. 133K miles so I suspect it is water pump time (timing belt too). I've removed alot of "stuff" and now have the right (passenger side) motor mount loose, but can not get the motor mount bolt (closest to the firewall) to come out.....long story short....I can't get the timing belt outer cover off or the motor mount for that matter. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated as the Haynes manual is too vague.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:44 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you sprayed the bolt with any good penetrating spray like PB? It doesn't turn at all? Have you tried a breaker bar?

If you search, there are links to the Dodge Factory Service Manuals. Can't get much more specific than that.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 AM
contagious19
Champion

did u remove da bolt that holds the engine to da body of the car, u have to remove da passenger wheel to get to this one and its a hex T-50 or T-55

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 AM
neonftw87
Professional

yeah man this is rough, if your talking about cant get the bolt out because its too long and you dont have enough space to pull it out i can help you..

take the top mount completely off, keep a jack under your oil pan taking care not to put it in a spot that it could bust it..... the only way ive been able to get these bolts out is you have to jack the engine up as far as you can get it to go before it starts lifting up the car, and you may have to kinda push the A/C lines out of the way....

dont bend or kink them, just kinda push them around and such till you get the top 2 out.... then to get the bottom bolt out, you have to let the engine back down, as far down as you can get it to go and you should be able to get that last bottom bolt out...

Be really careful when trying to get the mount plate off the side of the engine cause it is pretty long and if you try to just force it out youll bust your timing belt cover.... i know this because i did it lol.

once you get that out, the timing belt cover will come off, that is as long as you have already pulled the crank pulley.....

now youll need to take the timing belt tensioner off... and the timing belt comes off... there are a few bolts holding in the water pump... pretty self explanitory....

you have to have a table vice or a a c clamp big enough for the tensioner..... you have to compress it and put a nail or a pin of some kind in.. has to be pretty stroung tho caue it will bend it....

When putting it back on the engine, MAKE SURE you tighted it pretty tight.... and if you use a breaker bar or a cheater pipe or something of that source to tighten it, be careful that the socket doesnt slip... i came pretty close to breaking my finger on the lower control arm....

Hope this helps you out...

Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
2000LX
Rookie

Originally Posted by white538
Hi Group, My daughter's Neon is leaking bad. 133K miles so I suspect it is water pump time (timing belt too). I've removed alot of "stuff" and now have the right (passenger side) motor mount loose, but can not get the motor mount bolt (closest to the firewall) to come out.....long story short....I can't get the timing belt outer cover off or the motor mount for that matter. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated as the Haynes manual is too vague.

On the RH side - the mount has a bolt - going thru the lower frame rail
Remove the RF wheel - you will see a plastic plug - circle - remove the plug - remove the bolt - make sure to have a jack under the motor - relieve some pressure
the bolts on top are easy to remove

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The OP hasn't been on since he posted this. Doubt he's even coming back around...

Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 AM
neonftw87
Professional

yeah that doesnt mean that this post doesnt help other people having the same problem.... seriously man... chill

Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I meant that more as trying to elicit a response from him, chill.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 AM
neonftw87
Professional

there are alot of ppl out there that doesnt know how to work on 2nd generation neons..... I know first and second both... you seriously dont have to post with your bull**** about, well this guy hasnt been on in so long... whatever...... this post will help someone on how to do this.... so quit with your petty bull**** and leave this post alone... just learn man, no one gives a **** about what YOU know personally.....

Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
stoneage_caddy

Originally Posted by neonftw87
there are alot of ppl out there that doesnt know how to work on 2nd generation neons..... I know first and second both... you seriously dont have to post with your bull**** about, well this guy hasnt been on in so long... whatever...... this post will help someone on how to do this.... so quit with your petty bull**** and leave this post alone... just learn man, no one gives a **** about what YOU know personally.....
I wasnt even going to register ...but i saw this and i had to say ...
THANKYOU!!!
Im replacing the headgasket on a 98 breeze , and i was having fits trying to figure out what exactly held the damned timing cover on. guess im pulling the engine mount sooner then planned. gaskets on the way today the new mls type as per the chrysler bulletin

I just want to say that contuning the thread info wise helps other people a ton , Im a member on a cadillac forum where i do alot of caddy support , and wayyyy to much post whoring...

Anyway ill be around quite a bit , Im an old 2.2 turbo fan (once owning a turbo Lebaron GTS) and the girlfreind has a lil 91 spirit non turbo with 250k on it (well thats how much it had when the odo broke)...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Neon Water pump replacement