2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

what can i do to get more power out of my wifes neon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 AM
dieseltech18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what can i do to get more power out of my wifes neon?

well i got my wife a 2005 dodge neon sxt 2.0 sohc auto 59000 miles. she loves the the car but after driving my hemi ram i dont like driving her car cuz its seams like it doesnt have any power at all. is all stock....is there anything that i can do to get more power out of the little rice burner? or am i just wausting my money? is there any superchips for it? i know K&N gives 6hp will i notice that power much?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 AM
spec_ops57
Rookie

Chipping the car is vurtually (won't let me correct spelling) useless given the programming on the Neons computer.

If you want a decent increase in power, you'd probably have to go with building up your internals and forced induction.. But that's probably a little out of your wife's league.

Stick with the cold air intake, free flow exhaust, maybe a bigger throttle body

Last edited by spec_ops57; 02-06-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

haha, if u have the money and time, it will smoke that hemi... HAHA

Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Tman52
Professional

I beat last years model F-150 by a nose from a dig to 70.. I'm a stock 5-Speed. But otherwise I feel ya, there slow cars, So my advise to you is.. Drive your Hemi, the neon is for your wife.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dieseltech18
rice burner
huh, you said its stock, then its not a rice burner because A. its not Jdm or import and B. it doesn't have any race inspired cosmetic enhancers.

As for your original question just buy a cold air intake and If thats not enough for you, an aftermarket exhaust manifold and exhaust system in addition to the cai will satisfy you.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

Originally Posted by srtgtr34
huh, you said its stock, then its not a rice burner because A. its not Jdm or import and B. it doesn't have any race inspired cosmetic enhancers.

soooo very true

Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Kath
Rookie

without getting too deep into the car... a CAI, 55mm throttle body, header, cat-back, & underdrive pulley, should get you about 10% more power. AND give you better gas mileage. These parts would just let the engine breath better, and decrease the amount of power drain that your accessories draw from the engine. While the effects should be positive throughout the operating range of the engine, the bulk of your power gains will be realized at higher rpm where airflow becomes more significant.

After that an R/T or crane cam (& springs) will get you less throttle response at the low end, but great high rpm power. This will take away any gains in gas mileage you got from the other parts. I would imagine, that with a cam (combined with the above listed mods) could maybe get the engine to about 15% or more gain over stock power. Racing cams don't really give you more power on the rising side of your torque curve, they just extend the peak into a higher rpm range, so that your engine can rev higher before peaking out, but at the cost of degrading your low rpm efficiency and giving you a less smooth idle.

After that you're looking at turbocharging which is a lot of money. but could push your 2.0 engine well over 200hp.

Personally, I plan to do the first paragraph, skip the cam change, and then go ahead and turbocharge it. My goal is to have an economical daily driver which can put out some impressive 'oomf' if pressed.

Is your wife's neon a stick or automatic?
also, what kind of polution inspection will it have to pass?

Last edited by Kath; 02-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

You want to know what the biggest power adder you can do short of a turbo or n2o? Yeah, thats right a 5 speed tranny swap. Autos are really slow in the neon unless highly modified.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
NeonOn19s
Captain

CAI, header and exhaust.. should be around 1100 buck give or take.. it will give you a little improvement. but it you are tryuing to compair to a Hemi.. hahaha good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 AM
gcrn7081
Rookie

Originally Posted by dieseltech18
well i got my wife a 2005 dodge neon sxt 2.0 sohc auto 59000 miles. she loves the the car but after driving my hemi ram i dont like driving her car cuz its seams like it doesnt have any power at all. is all stock....is there anything that i can do to get more power out of the little rice burner? or am i just wausting my money? is there any superchips for it? i know K&N gives 6hp will i notice that power much?
Thanks
I just did the CAI (got a deal...$189 I think) and it's a K&N with CARB label. I noticed a difference. No, not the seat of my pants or the sound. I actually noticed a difference. I also went with MSD wires and coil pack. Also noticed a difference. Here is the guys email I bought it from. Tell him Ron sent you. Really nice guy. jolin701113@gmail.com His name is Tony. He will hook you up!

Update: Wires and intake were $248.22 (looked it up). I also got the coil pack from him.

Last edited by gcrn7081; 02-09-2009 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: what can i do to get more power out of my wifes neon?