2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

I really like my Neon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
The Old Guy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really like my Neon!

I recently bought a 2005 base Neon with 76k on it. I now have 80k on it. The dealer put new ceramic front brakes and 4 new tires on it for me. I changed the plugs out with NGK V-grooves.This is my first Neon and here are my thoughts.
1 For a short wheel base it rides pretty smooth but expansion joints thud a bit.
2 Good handling and great steering feel.
3 Pretty quiet.
4 A/C is ice cold with strong fan speeds
5 Stock stereo is very good.
6 Seats and driving position are very good.
7 Controls are well placed and have a nice feel.
8 Acceleration is OK but another 20 HP would be nice (at 5000 foot(Denver) it's a bit doggy)
9 Why would they stop making a pretty good car
10 In 4k miles it has only used a 1/2 quart of oil.
11 I'm averaging 32 Mpg (my last car was 21 mpg)
12 My only real complaint is that it has no ashtray
So overall I'm quite happy with this car and would give it a solid 8 out of 10 rating.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Guy
I recently bought a 2005 base Neon with 76k on it. I now have 80k on it. The dealer put new ceramic front brakes and 4 new tires on it for me. I changed the plugs out with NGK V-grooves.This is my first Neon and here are my thoughts.
1 For a short wheel base it rides pretty smooth but expansion joints thud a bit.
2 Good handling and great steering feel.
3 Pretty quiet.
4 A/C is ice cold with strong fan speeds
5 Stock stereo is very good.
6 Seats and driving position are very good.
7 Controls are well placed and have a nice feel.
8 Acceleration is OK but another 20 HP would be nice (at 5000 foot(Denver) it's a bit doggy)
9 Why would they stop making a pretty good car
10 In 4k miles it has only used a 1/2 quart of oil.
11 I'm averaging 32 Mpg (my last car was 21 mpg)
12 My only real complaint is that it has no ashtray
So overall I'm quite happy with this car and would give it a solid 8 out of 10 rating.
Number 12: Some came with a "smoker's package." I found the owner's manual, and the "smoker's package," hidden in the trunk area of my 2001. If I find that ashtray, you can have it, lol. I agree though, good cars that shouldn't have been discontinued/replaced; especially by the Cailber IMO.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Yeah, it was just an ashtray insert that fit into one of the cup holders I think. But I still love my Neon too. Bought it in July '07 with 19k on it. Just got back from Myrtle Beach late Friday afternoon with just under 78k on it now. A few more ponies would be nice. We had the A/C on for most of the trip and you could feel it going up the mountains. When we go back in September it should be better with the A/C off. Sorry, but 95* with a heat index of 108* is just stinking hot! I only hit 33 MPG this trip from using the air all the time.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited by AnthemBassMan; 06-23-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Spelling errors, OK? Leave me alone!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
kabuk1
Professional

Yeah, Neons rule. I was so sad when they discontinued them. Especially to replace them with that franken-suv abortion they call a Caliber. They're not horrible cars, but they're no Neons. I keep hearing that they're gonna bring the Neon back, but they're just rumors so far.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
houndog97
Rookie

You're guys are right I was poking around near the rear tailight and low and behold I found the cigg lighter and an extra remote control why would they hide it back there? It was then I pulled the rear matt where the rear taillight is it was buried there.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Haha I've always had my ashtray sitting in my cupholder.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by houndog97
You're guys are right I was poking around near the rear tailight and low and behold I found the cigg lighter and an extra remote control why would they hide it back there? It was then I pulled the rear matt where the rear taillight is it was buried there.
That is exactly where I found the manual and "smoker's package" in my '01, lol.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yeah. I enjoy my neon, but the thing I wish it had was more power. It has decent get up and go, but I should have got a srt4 instead. However at the time I bought my neon I was not really in a position to afford one. Oh well, my neon moves out pretty decent for what it is. The most important thing it does it get me from point a to point b on a consistent basis.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 AM
BroodRed
Professional

Originally Posted by LowSlowNeon
Yeah. I enjoy my neon, but the thing I wish it had was more power. It has decent get up and go, but I should have got a srt4 instead.
Agree'd. But my Neon was kind of a trade. My mom totaled my Z24 Cavalier, so she gave me her Neon SXT. When she bought it in 2002, there was no SRT but if there had been, I'd have one now!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Tman52
Professional

I like my Neon. All the girls that ride in it on a day to day basis LOVE my neon. I drive the **** out of it. I put a good 2,000 hard miles on a month. When I say hard, I accerlate fast, i let it rev up to 4-5k before i shift. I drive on gravel and other ****ty conditions daily. She still runs AMAZING. Although I am in need of some suspension work, and I need to replace the brakes. As a whole the car is pretty damn good. My only major problem at the moment is that from time to time, the fan blowing the AC will stop working.

Quick Reply: I really like my Neon!