2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Final word on fuel filter 2005 SXT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
colt45103
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final word on fuel filter 2005 SXT

All,

I am new to the site and have found some conflicting information on this matter - Some say that the fuel filter is located on the fuel line under the right side of the car, some say it is an integral part of the fuel regulator and finally some say that it is part of the fuel pump...

Can anyone tell me - for sure - where this is located?

My daughter's 2005 SXT sputters as you accelerate around a sharp corner which, at least to me, indicates a fuel problem. I would like to change the fuel filter before dropping the tank to clean the pick up screen on the pump...

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Its all part of the fuel tank husband found that in our dodge neon book you can find them at any autoparts store if your daughter doesnt already have one. Going to have to drop the tank eveything is one in there.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is part of the pump assembly. Either way, the tank has to come out. That's not to say you couldn't remove that one and install an inline filter.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
redsl
Rookie

Don't know about the 2005 but on the 2003 the filter is part of the regulator. It is located on the passenger side of the fuel tank. You need to remove the fuel line attached to the filter and unplug the ground wire.There is a tab to press in to allow the filter to turn off counterclockwise. May need the help of large channel lock plyers but be gentle. Be ready to get a little fuel on you. Oh most importantly, you have to relieve the fuel pressure in the tank. open the gas cap, start the car and let it run, remove the fuel pump fuse under the hood. let car stall out. be ready to get a little gas on you when it comes out. You DO NOT have to remove the gas tank for this project at least on the 2003 model.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could just depress the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail too...

Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

My 04 is different I guess . I have to drop the tank and thats about it nothing easier .

Quick Reply: Final word on fuel filter 2005 SXT