2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cost of having battery cables replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 AM
01neonwh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of having battery cables replaced?

Hey all, I have a 2001 Neon with corroding battery terminals. I am looking at what my most cost effective options are. I found some replacement cables at Napa(http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50020+2020029), and thought I might get a pair of them(positive and negative, of course!) and have them installed by some one who knows what they are doing.

So my question is about labor pricing. I know each shop varies in their labor rates. I was just trying to get an idea of the cost to get these things put in. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is simply cleaning the terminals out of the question? You can get cleaner and protectant for under $10.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM
iThane
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
Is simply cleaning the terminals out of the question? You can get cleaner and protectant for under $10.
i cleaned my cables myself as well. i just used a salt water solution to remove all visible corrosion, and then used protectant on the terminals to prevent future corrosion. depending on how bad the corrosion is, it could have gotten into your cables like it did for me. my car has a weak start so i plan on getting new cables. if it's mainly just the terminals though, you should still have the green light!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
01neonwh

The negative terminal has actually started to be eaten away. I figured it would be better to simply replace the cables or both cables than anything else.

I'm open to more suggestions, though. I like to know all of my options so I can make the best choice possible.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just replace the terminals then? That's pretty easy.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:55 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for future reference its NOT a salt water solution you should be using. This would promote more corrosion!
Its supposed to be a solution of Baking soda/water to neutralize the corrosiveness of the Limey green or white powder.

a cheap battery brush .99 and never hrts to spray a lil lubricant on them. terminals on batteries can be changed, they thread in.

the weak start ould be a weak battery or a starter on the way out
did you check the cables resistance?

they do make replacement cable clamps (ends) u can solder, bolt, or crimp on

Quick Reply: Cost of having battery cables replaced?