2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

P0743 after PCM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Output speed sensor is one common cause. It would be best to test vs. just tossing in a new sensor

Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
edrulz2003
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
Output speed sensor is one common cause. It would be best to test vs. just tossing in a new sensor
i already replaced the output sensor.

I done this so far:
1) output sensor
2)input sensor
3) transmission shift solenoid
4) tranny filter and fluid change

I also had 4 valves fixed, timing chain replaced FYI

Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 PM
22DODGE22

That's why it's so important to have the correct tool(s) for proper diagnosis. You have a transmission related problem that the PCM sent you down the wrong path and you ended replacing a bunch of parts un-necessarily.

So you have a 2002 neon 2.0 overdrive automatic. No speedo and stuck in 2nd gear no shifting. That's indicative of an output speed sensor or circuitry... but not the only cause. If I had this problem, I'd definitely want to get a scanner capable of communications with the trans computer.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
edrulz2003
Rookie

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
That's why it's so important to have the correct tool(s) for proper diagnosis. You have a transmission related problem that the PCM sent you down the wrong path and you ended replacing a bunch of parts un-necessarily.

So you have a 2002 neon 2.0 overdrive automatic. No speedo and stuck in 2nd gear no shifting. That's indicative of an output speed sensor or circuitry... but not the only cause. If I had this problem, I'd definitely want to get a scanner capable of communications with the trans computer.
yes it is important to have all these high tech tools but at the time this car was just something i wanted to learn more about automotive and fix up cars. I read a few things and bought some cheap parts just to see if this would fix the issue. but your 100% correct. I also purchased a lot of tools so i can fix more cars as problems occur.

yes all those issues you mention i have and if i have time tomorrow im going to see if the shop down the street from me, can scan to see if i get any trans codes. Once again i appreciate all your help through out this process.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 AM
CyrilKeir

I know Autozone will check your codes for free. I don't know if they have the tool (I imagine they would?) to communicate with the transmission computer though.

But yeah. Check out your local autozone. Free is better than renting/paying for it.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 AM
22DODGE22

Wrong. Autozone cannot access transmission related problems. Autozones code reader is no different than cycling your key 3x.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
CyrilKeir

I don't know if they have the tool (I imagine they would?) to communicate with the transmission computer though.
Never said they did. :-P So I can't be "wrong".

Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 PM
22DODGE22

If you don't know why offer? Wrong advice is worse than no advice because you wouldn't want to lead someone down the wrong path?

Autozone can only check engine related codes. Not transmission, Not body, Not ABS, Not air bag.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since we don't want to be giving wrong advice, you can get transmission codes (they are still P codes) and network codes (U codes) with an OBDII scan tool. Yes, perhaps you need a "better" tool to get more information, but you can still get those codes.

He said AutoZone will check the codes for free. He also said that he wasn't sure if they had a tool to communicate with the transmission, but thought they might. He never said that they did and would run diagnostics on the transmission.

As you have said in the past, "growing up and maturity are needed." Start practicing what you are preaching to others, and stop being so confrontational with everyone. This is an open forum where everyone has the opportunity to offer their opinions. As you and I both know, we may not agree with others' opinions and that other people may not agree with ours. If you do not like that simple premise, or that other people may offer solutions that are not 100% accurate or correct, feel free to step away from the keyboard.

I am trying not to intervene with solving the problem as you are offering assistance and knowledge on the subject at hand, but do not push it.

Last edited by darthroush; 03-07-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Browser crashed.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
Since we don't want to be giving wrong advice, you can get transmission codes (they are still P codes) and network codes (U codes) with an OBDII scan tool. Yes, perhaps you need a "better" tool to get more information, but you can still get those codes.

He said AutoZone will check the codes for free. He also said that he wasn't sure if they had a tool to communicate with the transmission, but thought they might. He never said that they did and would run diagnostics on the transmission.

As you have said in the past, "growing up and maturity are needed." Start practicing what you are preaching to others, and stop being so confrontational with everyone. This is an open forum where everyone has the opportunity to offer their opinions. As you and I both know, we may not agree with others' opinions and that other people may not agree with ours. If you do not like that simple premise, or that other people may offer solutions that are not 100% accurate or correct, feel free to step away from the keyboard.

I am trying not to intervene with solving the problem as you are offering assistance and knowledge on the subject at hand, but do not push it.

Well said !!!

Quick Reply: P0743 after PCM replacement